no power force 50

floatingMP

Cadet
i have a 1989 force 50 on a 16" maxum bowrunner, it runs great with me in the boat 5200 rpms at about 25mph, with 3 people in the boat i run at about 3000rpms and 5-7 mph, I cannot get it to plane no matter who is in the boat, I have rebuilt the fuel pump, carb replaced the reeds and spark plugs, has new fuel and impeller, compression is 145 top and 140 bottom, both plugs look the same(normal, nothing unusual), i have checked the fuel lines and everything is tight. I am at a loss, i have read a lot forums here and everyone has been really helpful, any ideas would be great..

nolymytz

Recruit
Re: no power force 50

i have a 50hp force on my 15' chrysler deep v...does exactly what you have explained...with my wife and myself in the boat it cruises about 30mph...with 3-4 people in it, it goes less than 10mph until it planes out...i have to have 2 people shift to the front of the boat for it to plane out. I'm pretty sure it's not your motor's performance, but perhaps a problem with boat/weight distribution. Did this just start or did you just get the boat?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

As Nolymytz said you may have to shift people around until it planes also if the tank and battery are in the rear
try to move one or both forward.Tank is a good candidate by just making the hose longer.When pushing a load you may want to trim in one notch it will help you plane a little easier.
The anti vent plate should be about even with the bottom of the boat and you could raise the motor vertically until just before ventilation becomes a problem.It may be set up so you can change the mount a hole at a time.If you can raise it 1 inch it could give you about 2 to 3 mph and help your planing problem.
When raising the motor be sure it is pumping water and the clamps have a good grip.If you have to raise the clamp you can add 1/4 inch sticks to hold it up as you make the adjustment.

floatingMP

Cadet

I appreciate the info, the boat is new to me, it had sit for 3 years without running and i have done a lot of work to the motor. It used to plane just fine before i had to replace the reeds(wasnt idling only had wot), i have tried hydrofoils and it doesnt make a difference other than steal more power, the tank is in the front. The previous owner is a friend of the family and he is a very big guy and he was pulling a tube with 3 people in the boat and it seemed to perform much better than it does now..could be i am expecting too much out of it..

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might consider Nauticus Smart tabs. They are touted to help hol3e shot, plane at lower speeds and possibly add a few MPH at wot. Search on this forum for posts about them