No Power above idle cleaned carbs. 1984 70 hp

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1984 70hp Evinrude non VRO. Thanks joe for explaining the primer solinoid. I have clean the carbs and have check fuel pressure to the cars I have 2.5 lbs at idle and 4 lbs or more as it increses RPMS. I still have now power after idle. It just seems to bog down. This all happen over night. I did get it to run well for about 3 minutes and I thought it was from a sea foam treatment. Thats why I cleaned the carbs They looked clean to me. I am starting to think synk or electrical now. The motor starts in a second and runs for ever at idle and about 1500 rps and the just bogs and has no responce to throtle movement. It will stall if not pull back to half throttle and then it just chugs along about 1500 rpms. I think all the bells and whisles have been long removed. What about the engine limiter for an overheat condition where are these located, to check? There is plenty of water and its not warm!<br />this motor has only about 100 hrs since complete rebuild 2 years ago. I did have a overheat condition last season that could have damaged the limiter????<br />steve

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: No Power above idle cleaned carbs. 1984 70 hp

That component is called a "Primer Solenoid" which takes the place of a choke solenoid.<br /><br />When the RED lever is facing aft (normal position), down along the solenoid, it is in the automatic mode. No fuel can flow through it unless you press in on the key switch which allows fuel to flow through it to the intake manifold area. It is normally engaged by pressing in on the key switch but some other switch may be wired to engage it. This would be the same as having a electric choke set to the automatic mode.<br /><br />When the RED lever is facing away (as you say, about 90°), the primer solenoid is put into manual mode. This would be the same as putting a choke lever into full choke mode.<br /><br />The fact that the engine rpms increase momentarily when you move that lever 90°, putting it into manual mode, allowing fuel to flow to the intake manifold.... That indicates that the engine is starving for fuel.<br /><br />Bottom line... Your explanation of the problem indicates that the engine has clogged/fouled carburetors. Time to clean and rebuild them.

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

joe glad i red the post a friend of mine has a 90 with vro thats had ben disabled i didnt know what the red leaver actualey did thanks . when did the vro start on johnson papasage

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Joe Thanks I knew it was a primer solenoid but my thoughts and what I type was different.<br />I was running the boat/motor and was seeing lots of fuel spraying into the carbs but I had lack of power/RPMS. Does this also show signs of dirty carbs. I rebuilt the fuel pump last season.I have checked all screens and filters.<br />I have used seafoam with no results. <br />I will try and clean the carbs as you suggest.<br />steve

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Joe I cleanded the carbs and rebuilt them.I think I spend money without needing to the carbs were rebuilt 2 years ago and they were spotless.<br />There wasn't ever any sign of dirt or built up on anything? I will put them on tomorrow and see.<br />steve

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Did you actually remove and clean the fixed high speed jets that are located in the bottom center of the float chambers? Fuel must pass through them before it can obtain passage to any other area. One slightly clogged H/S jet will make the engine bog out when throttle is applied.<br /><br />Check the timer base under the flywheel to see if it might be sticking when you apply throttle. If so, that would result in a retarded spark with the same results.

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Joe Yes I did remove the jets there there was no sign of any dirt. I use light air pressure and carb cleaner and it showed clear.I checked to see the timming is advacing with throttle movement as well. I have tryed two different fuel sorces also with two different hoses! Compression is good even at around 106.<br />steve

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi I took the boat out today and it had power after idle????? I did nothing since last post! I pulled it out of the water to check out all the things that could be causing the bogging. Thanks joe for the post about the butter flys and synk them on the roller marks. I will check that out again. steve