No oil warning

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1989 175 with vro, and I don't get any alarm before I start the motor. After running at idle for about 1 minute, the no oil warning goes off after it warms up, gets faster with acceleration. I replaced the water pump and both thermostats. I have a half tank of oil in it. I left the plug out at the launch, and most likely got water in the system. Old oil had water, so I changed it, and the pickup filter is clean. Its getting oil because it still is blue smoke. Is it a restricted VRO, bad sending unit, or bad VRO? I've searched this site and I have a feeling the VRO is bad. How can I test it to make sure its restricted or no flow at all?

fishnfiend

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: No oil warning

Your's might be in the years before they instituted the warning at startup. My '88 VRO has no warning which is normal. There was a thread on this a few weeks ago (did you try a search??)<br /><br />Don't know about the '89. I don't have to worry about it anymore since I have gone VRO-less anyway. My VRO pump was going out this year. If yours is the original (and the three-wire) it could be getting ready to do the same. They sell rebuild internal parts (diaghragms and such) for these units that are a fraction of cost of replacing total pump (spendy - but cheaper than burned pistons).<br /><br />I sure as heck would mix my oil 50:1 in the gas tank until I could troubleshoot the problem if I were you. You really need a repair manual. I think they sell them on Iboats.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I already have a repair manual. I don't want to pre mix because if the VRO is bad, it won't pump fuel anyway. It's on there for a reason, so I'm leaving it. I can't find any rebuild kits for em, and even heard they don't they don't make em anymore. I did do a search and didn't find much. Thats why I put this post in.

fishnfiend

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't mean to **** you off, dragula. I just wanted to forewarn you that you probably shouldn't run your motor anymore (unless you premix). My manual has a troublshooting sequence for the VRO. Following the sequence will answer your questions.<br /><br />I purchased a rebuild kit for my VRO this summer -that's how I know they are available (at least for my engine). Bought mine here:<br /><br /> http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcvro.html <br /><br />Showed up in about a week.<br /><br />It sucks when your motor isn't running right. Keep after it - you'll get it.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by dragula65000:<br /> I have a 1989 175 with vro, and I don't get any alarm before I start the motor. After running at idle for about 1 minute, the no oil warning goes off after it warms up, gets faster with acceleration.
If it was the NO OIL alarm, it should not increase in frequency when you accelerate. Most likely it is flakey electronics inside the oil pickup assembly making the sounds. If you hear the NO OIL sound changing frequency, disconnect the oil tank to engine wiring connector (tan) at the motor. If the sound quits, it's a bad oil pickup. <br /><br />To be on the safe side, run mixed fuel in case there is a lack of oil problem.

Walker

Captain

I don't want to pre mix because if the VRO is bad, it won't pump fuel anyway.
That's not true. Your VRO pump has 2 separate sides and 2 separated diaphrams. One side for gasoline and one side for oil. One side can go out without affecting the other side.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Walker:<br />
I don't want to pre mix because if the VRO is bad, it won't pump fuel anyway.
That's not true. Your VRO pump has 2 separate sides and 2 separated diaphrams. One side for gasoline and one side for oil.
The airmotor and the fuel pump sections of a "VRO" use thick diaphragms, but the oil pump is a piston pump.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey fishnfiend, I wasnt trying to be a jerk. I just hate when people always assume something. Anyway, I disconnected the tan wire from the pickup and the alarm was still goin off. I'm gonna get the rebuild kit, but did it work for you, or did you just to disconnect the vro because the rebuild didnt work?

Allan Ewing

Cadet

I have 91 175 with VRO 2. Last year my motor did exactly the same thing, only shortly after no oil beep sounded, it starved for fuel and shut off. After reading about VRO 2 pump in repair manual, I replaced it. That problem is no more. VRO 2 pump was $238 which I installed.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Are27, I found out that that rebuild kit only rebuilds the fuel side. I'm gonna replace the whole thing.