no new tank available

gateway

Seaman
I have a 1979 4hp johnson model # 4w79d. The gas tank has crud build up all inside. The tank is plastic and is housed in the motor itself. I thought about buying a new tank but, they discontinued it in 92'. so im left to clean this one.does anyone have an idea to clean this out without damaging the plastic tank?.<br />Thanks.

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: no new tank available

Put ball bearings and some fuel in tank then shake like Ozzy Osbourne after a hard night. Will knock the crud loose :D

gateway

Seaman

Hey dmessy, If I put a few ounces of carb cleaner in with that, would it hurt the plastic?

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

The can says it'll hurt plastic but I used it also without any problems. Might wanna try it out first, hate to see a hole in the tank.

icwebpeople

Petty Officer 2nd Class

go to home depot paint center. buy accitone. that stuff will eat any thing accept plastic.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Dumping any kind of "stuff" in the tank won't do much if it is really crudded up. You can try it but if I were going very far I would make sure that I had my oars with me.<br /><br />You're call.

taz33911

Seaman

I would try some kind of degreaser acetone eats a lot of kinds of plastics . I work at Caravlle boats I end up being the one to change out parts people try to clean up with acetone .

taz33911

Seaman

something you might consider is drilling a hole in the lower cowling put a rubber grommet it the howl and run a new line into the boat with a portable tank and primer . good luck :)

taz33911

Seaman

something you might consider is drilling a hole in the lower cowling put a rubber grommet it the howl and run a new line into the boat with a portable tank and primer . good luck :)

taz33911

Seaman

something you might consider is drilling a hole in the lower cowling put a rubber grommet it the hole and run a new line into the boat with a portable tank and primer . good luck :)

BillP

Captain

Some ideas...<br /><br />Try aquarium rocks instead of ball bearings...they will take the crud off faster. I did rocks in a 6 gal merc steel tank once, jacked my car up and strapped it to the wheel. Then let it run in gear for an hour. The tank came out shiney and all the rust gone. Kind of extreme but I was deperate and it was Sunday with no place to buy a tank...Sunday nite I was fishing.<br /><br />Or...Maybe you could add a transparent inline fuel filter under the cowl and get by ok. <br /> <br />Acetone should not hurt that tank but it probably won't work too well on petroleum/oil crud...wrong application. <br /><br />Heat will help soften the crud. Maybe some good strong automatic dishwaster soap in the tank with hot water would do something. Let it sit in the sink and run hot water through it. Your water isn't as hot as the engine gets. Get a nylon bottle brush and popsicle sticks to scrap with.<br /><br />If you have a crockpot big enough cook the tank on low temp in 100% antifreeze for 24 hrs. If the tank can take the heat I garantee it will remove every bit of crud. Been doing this for years on small motors, parts and tools. Just make sure you don't do it inside because the fumes are hazardous. It will NOT work without the heat.<br /><br />The motor will need a fuel pump if you add an external tank. There may be one that fits since omc had a 4 with external tank.<br /><br />That's all my 02.

gateway

Seaman

Thanks for all of the suggestions, Im about to venture out now and try them...wish me luck, thanks,<br />NO4NJNK