No Lifting Ring Help

awe1979

Seaman Apprentice
Hi I have a 1995 Johnson V4 Cross Flow 90 hp there is no lifting ring anywhere on the motor. I want to put a jack plate on my boat this weekend but I dont know how to lift it without the ring. Please help. Any Ideas? Do I need to order one from the dealer? I looked it over last night for 10 min I dont see any way of lifting it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: No Lifting Ring Help

Look again. There should be a bracket with a large hole near the top of the engine.

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Had that same experience, with a parts engine, power head was locked up and the lift ring had been removed.

I used good strong rope, tied it around front mounts on port and starboard side, left around 3 feet of slack, used the front end loader of my tractor to lift it. I do not reccomend this method.

Call some Marinas around your area, they usually have a few old parts engines in the back you may be able to get a lift ring from them.

awe1979

Seaman Apprentice

Man I am telling you I looked it over from top to bottom. There is no lifting ring. Maybe someone took it off.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If it has a watercooled regulator, it wont have a lifting ring. Some wise engineer decided to put the regulator where the lifting ring used to be. I had to make a ring that bolted to the puller bolt holes in the flywheel on mine.

MikDee

Banned

Maybe there is some good sturdy bolts along the sides of the motor that you could put a chain link thru, that's the way we used to lift motors out of cars, a couple bolts on each side of where the intake manifold was, with a chain thru them.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

As Guy said, OMC actually has a lifting eye that you can buy that threads into the body of a puller that is threaded into the flywheel. I believe is is part number 321537. You could simply rig this up on your own though.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

There were several reasons the ring was left off of the later model V4 crossflows. One obviously being that was where the water cooled reg / rec went. Another was that the lift ring was being used incorrectly to pull a powerhead and resulted in broken crankshaft flanges.

Lifting from the crank centerline is the correct way to lift the motor. And it'll be much easier to line the mounting bolts back up, especially if there's no power to the TnT unit.

Most flywheel pullers have an eye that replaces the center bolt for lifting.

iwombat

Captain

You can get a lifting ring that bolts to the flywheel right here in iboats for $60.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

With a little checking out you can find what thread is in the lifting hole and buy an eye bolt for around $6 from an industrial supply place over the counter.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

With a little checking out you can find what thread is in the lifting hole and buy an eye bolt for around $6 from an industrial supply place over the counter.

That is exactly what I did, making my own rig cost me about 10 bucks.