no idle 90 horse rude crossflow

tvpear12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I set my linkage so that both butter flies are closed and both start to open at the same time. now it will not idle. I wish i had left that part of the rebuild alone but wanted to make sure they were right. in nutral the butter flies were partly open. cant seem to understand what my manual is saying.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: no idle 90 horse rude crossflow

The throttle plates are supposed to be closed at idle TV. Did you rebuild the carbs along with the rebuild? <br /><br />When you return the throttle to neutral and the engine dies, either the idle orifices are plugged or the sync and link is off and the timing is retarted to far. <br /><br />What year is your engine anyways?

tvpear12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OB, Its a 1992 tracker 90 horse. no i did not build the carbs as they worked well before the rebuild. i had just noticed, when i was finished rebuilding, that when i closed the throttle using the linkage, the plates were cracked open a bit. so i loosened the to screws on each linkage untill the plates closed, then retightened them making sure the roller on the throttle was against the lever and now it wont idle.I never moved or changed anything that has to do with the timing or the advance rod under the flywheel or where the rod connects to the throttle linkage.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

If the motor won't idle with the carb throttle closed the way they are supposed to be, then passageways in the carbs are most likely plugged. Use the factory kits and get them rebuilt correctly.<br /><br />Why was the motor rebuilt??? Were one or two pistons "scorched"? If so, find out why.

tvpear12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no scoring, just typical coking. it busted a ringland.starboard side top cyl.before i touched the carbs when you put it in nutral the carb plates would be slightly open so i loosened the screws on the carb linkage and let them close now know idle. it was idling just fine before i touched them. i pretty much just shot myself in the foot messing with them.i am pretty sure the link and sync is out but dont understand what the manual is trying to say i hate these books somtimes. if you can word it better i will o u for ever.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

TV....are you using a generic manual or OEM manual? You would have a much better understanding with the OEM manual. And I agree with seahorse, rebuild the carbs. It maybe the reason the throttle plates were left cracked open.

tvpear12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ita a clymer.is there not a web site that will explain better as these manuals are high. i just bought this one and it sucks.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

listen to the previous advice. just cause it worked before does not mean it was right. I see it all the time. it wont idle so people open the throttles by mis-adjusting the linkage. I just built a 98 115spl and had to rejet the idle circuits cause it coughed at idle. doesnt mean anything was wrong just means it needed some attention. a rebuild without doing the fuel and cooling system is a patch, plain and simple. it coked for a reason.<br /> good luck and keep posting

tvpear12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rodbolt, I thought i heard somone say that coking was typical on these v-4 cross flows, and that the main reason for this was lugging, and lack of decarb and or prevetive maint. Please correct me if i am wrong,and if i am please make it clear to my small brain as to what causes coking.i did do all cooling systems along with rebuild and i took the bowl off of 1 carb and seemed as though it could not be any cleaner so i left it alone. my bad, but it worked well before so i just assumed it would be ok.

fast_c_class

Petty Officer 3rd Class

plates must be COMPLETELY CLOSED at idle. if they are open just a tiiiiny bit the engine will not idle. dont worry about the roller contacting the cam. just loosen the linkage to the plates are closed.<br /><br />try disconnecting the carb linkages all together even from each other, now start the engine. ill bet it starts and idles like a champ

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

tvpear<br />You are getting good advice about doing a complete rebuild on the carbs. They may look good on the outside and have crud on the inside. It is not a difficult job - no where near that of an auto carb.

tvpear12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, these things i will do and will post the results.