No Good Deed Goes Unpunished,,,,,

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Oddly Enough - Reuters <br /> <br />Colorado Teens Fined for Giving Cookies to Neighbor<br /><br />Fri Feb 4,10:49 PM ET Oddly Enough - Reuters <br /><br />DURANGO, Colo. (Reuters) - A Colorado judge ordered two teen-age girls to pay about $900 for the distress a neighbor said they caused by giving her home-made cookies adorned with paper hearts. <br /><br />The pair were ordered to pay $871.70 plus $39 in court costs after neighbor Wanita Renea Young, 49, filed a lawsuit complaining that the unsolicited cookies, left at her house after the girls knocked on her door, had triggered an anxiety attack that sent her to the hospital the next day. <br /><br />Taylor Ostergaard, then 17, and Lindsey Jo Zellitte, 18, paid the judgment on Thursday after a small claims court ruling by La Plata County Court Judge Doug Walker, a court clerk said on Friday. <br /><br />The girls baked cookies as a surprise for several of their rural Colorado neighbors on July 31 and dropped off small batches on their porches, accompanied by red or pink paper hearts and the message: "Have a great night." <br /><br />The Denver Post newspaper reported on Friday that the girls had decided to stay home and bake the cookies rather than go to a dance where there might be cursing and drinking. <br /><br />It reported that six neighbors wrote letters entered as evidence in the case thanking the girls for the cookies. <br /><br />But Young said she was frightened because the two had knocked on her door at about 10:30 p.m. and run off after leaving the cookies. <br /><br />She went to a hospital emergency room the next day, fearing that she had suffered a heart attack, court records said. <br /><br />The judge awarded Young her medical costs, but did not award punitive damages. He said he did not think the girls had acted maliciously but that 10:30 was fairly late at night for them to be out.

SlowlySinking

Re: No Good Deed Goes Unpunished,,,,,

As Paul Harvey says, "and now the rest of the story."

beezee28

What a way to thank for being good hearted. Slapped with a law suit and fine!!! so much for giving cookies. Worst still the girls might be accuse for the lady gaining weight after eating the cookies. :eek: :eek:

NYMINUTE

Captain

In my day we left things a bit less apetizing on door steps......generally on fire too. Now these kids were good ones, I repeat WERE good ones. Nice going judge, you (self edit).

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I'm confused...are you saying the judge awarded damages because the girls baked cookies & delivered 'em to their neighbors? If so then I agree the judge is a (self edit). <br /><br />I was under the impression that the award was because they rang the doorbell at 10:30pm & ran away - which they ought not to be doing regardless of their reasons. I was thinking that the (self edit) here is actually the neighbor who sued. Bet there was already some kind of grudge going on there.<br /><br />Plus which, it's not uncommon for an anxiety attack to be mistaken for a heart attack - if she really believed she had a heart attack why'd she wait till the next day? And, if she were really treated for heart attack the bill should have been closer to $9,000 or even $90,000. Something fishy's going on here.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> if she were really treated for heart attack the bill should have been closer to $9,000 or even $90,000. Something fishy's going on here.
Yeah JT, I agree with that statement. The fishy something is a money-grubbing (self edit) being molly-coddled by a moronic (self edit) judge, both of whom were dragged into the ever-widening morass associated with ambulance-chasing (self edit) lawyers by one of these so-called esteemed (self edit) members of the bar.<br /><br />Get the impression I'm not too impressed with the legal system? :mad: :rolleyes: