No Fish Tale: Thais Catch 646-Pound Fish

eeboater

Commander
BANGKOK, Thailand - Thai fishermen caught a 646-pound catfish believed to have been the world's largest freshwater fish ever recorded, a researcher said Thursday.<br /><br />The 8.9 feet Mekong giant catfish was netted May 1 by villagers in Chiang Khong, a remote district in northern Thailand, and weighed by Thai fisheries department officials, said Zeb Hogan, who leads an international project to locate and study the world's largest freshwater fish species.<br /><br />He confirmed it was the heaviest recorded fish since Thailand started keeping records in 1981.<br /><br />"This is the largest individual fish of the species that's listed as the biggest in the Guinness Book of World Records," he told The Associated Press by telephone.<br /><br />The fishermen had hoped to sell the fish to environmental groups, which planned to release it to spawn upriver, but it died before it could be handed over, and was later chopped up and sold in pieces to villagers to be eaten.<br /><br />Hogan, whose work is funded by the World Wildlife Fund and the National Geographic Society, said he is planning to write a paper about the catch to be published in a scientific journal. "That's the best way to document this kind of thing," he said.<br /><br />The Mekong giant catfish — which shares the title of largest freshwater fish with a close relative, the dog-eating catfish — was listed as endangered in 2003 after research showed its numbers had fallen by at least 80 percent over the past 13 years.<br /><br />Fishermen believe the catfish species has been declining largely because of dams and environmental damage along the Mekong River — home to more species of giant fish than any other river, an earlier statement by WWF and National Geographic Society said.<br /><br /><br />
capt.xbk10206300509.thailand_giant_catfish_xbk102.jpg

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: No Fish Tale: Thais Catch 646-Pound Fish

Read that on the nets this morning. That is a BIG...BIG... cat fish. Guess it loss its nine lifes!! :D :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Dad gum, I wont be swimming in the Mekong river anymore.<br /><br />Ken

KaGee

Admiral

And they say say those mother's are "Urban Legends"!

gaugeguy

Captain

Endangered species and they cut it up and ate it, hmmmmm.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They should have been locked up for harming an endangered animal I would think.

eeboater

Commander

Actually, for some reason they didn't say this in the article, but they released the fish when they were done measuring, weighing and oogling over them.<br /><br />Sean

CATransplant

Admiral

So, what do you use as bait for a Mekong Catfish?<br /><br />I suggest a whole, small pig.<br /><br />Sheesh...that's a darned big fish. I'll get the hush puppies ready and light the Weber...y'all skin that sucker and cut him up into smaller pieces.

rwise

Captain

Thats gona take a lot of corn meal!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> but they released the fish when they were done measuring, weighing and oogling over them.<br />
:confused: Is it swimming around looking for Kirstie or is it a Weight Watchers meal now?

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Kirstie Alley used to be so hot. She has the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen.

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

how the hell did we get on to Kirsty "who ate all the pies" Alley? If it was her how did they get the cream cake in the hook? :D

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Bait fish for Cat's in the Ohio.....

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> Looks alot like Kiriste Alley!!! :D
Dude, that is so da** funny! :D <br /><br />My buddy has caught 50lb flatheads off of trot lines... and I thought them were huge.