no fire on #6

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its a '84 115 merc, I've just started trying to get it to run since I got it. When I traded for it the guy told me he had the stator and trigger replaced, carbs rebuilt, fuel pump rebuilt, and a tuneup. When I did the compression test #6 looked brand new, the other ones had a little bit of deposits. I finally got all the fuel lines replace and the tank cleaned. I've been trying to crank it since yesterday, It tries to hit but nothing. I checked the spark this evening and #6 was dead. How do I check the coil, are do I need to start somewhere else? Thanx

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: no fire on #6

I dug a little deeper in the search. If I swap the #6 coil with one thats hitting, and it fires, then I have a switchbox or trigger trouble. If not it should be the coil, right? That's the way I read it anyway, going to check tomorrow. Also I've been reading here alot about timing. 3deg at idle or wot? Also I believe my carbs a flooding abit since it sat up for a long time. I'm going to go through them, to eliminate future problems. I read here and a merc tech also told me to drill out the main jets up .002". How do I drill them out that little or can I get them easily from the dealer? Thanx

Clams Canino

Commander

Odds are it's the switchbox not the coil. Just swap the leads over to test it. <br /><br />Put a BB in each of the little rubber hoses above each carb, wet the BB for easier insertion.<br />Leave the main jets alone. <br /><br />See my "timing and synch" post (about 13 down on the front page) for detailed timing info.<br /><br />-W

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanx Clams, I'll give it a try tomorrow. What do the bb's do? I have already printed out you "timing and synch" post, soon as it runs I'll do it. Also thanx for the cowl bracket last month, I noticed your email name today. I'll take you up on the phone call if I get in a bind. I'm replacing my convertible top on my mustang tomorrow, when I'm done I'll get back on this. Thanx again.

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well come to find out that 2 4 and 6 is dead now. I picked up another switch box and its running like crap now, before it didn't run at all. I've fogged the carbs pretty good and its a little better, almost idles. It surges alot and dies. It doesn't have any kind of rpm's, but I can get them to pick up by hand. Also the water from the pee hole is pretty hot, is that normal? Thanx

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll check the fire again this morning.

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The fire was great on all cylinders. I took it to the shop yesterday, #2 & #6 was at 105lbs compression. The timing was retarded way to much for some reason, so he's pulling the flywheel to check it out.

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It was a bad ground wire. Fogged the carbs real good and she's running great. Hopefully I'll finish the boat restore this week and put it in the water next weekend.

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep, so far. Thanx for all the help, I'm sure I'll need more before I'm done.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

The bad ground wire....the classic culprit :D <br /><br />Good work ladano and thanks for letting us know what fixed it.

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The bad thing was I couldn't find it. I took it to a local shop. He seems like a good ole boy, gave me a lot of free info and will talk motors all day, over coffee. I'm new to the area and haven't fished around here yet, he let me in on the honey holes. He was also big into racing back in the day of the tower of power. He still has some goodies laying around for them.

Clams Canino

Commander

PERK!<br /><br />What kind of Goodies pray tell???<br /><br />-W

ladano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I seen a header with 3 trumpet's laying around, I asked him about it and he said he had more around there. Not to sure what though. Bad thing was the header was laying outside full of water.