No Feedback Steering?

Gator1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am about at the end of my restoration project. I have been running the boat all summer and having a great time. So now I am looking to replace some of the old hardware that I just re-installed to actually have some fun on the thing. One item is the steering cable/helm. It is the original and I had to work some magic to get it to work at all so thinking about longevity, I am going to replace it.

The boat is a 19ft. Stingray open bow runabout type hull. It has the 3.0 motor in it at this time. It does not have any power or power assist steering. Just a rotary type helm.

I am wondering if a No Feedback system from Teleflex or UFlex would be worth the extra dough for me on this boat. I am specifically thinking about the wander I get at slower speeds like no wake areas. I understand it is normal to some extent, but I imagine that it is worse than average on my boat. So I think that if the No Feedback would decrease or eliminate this wandering at slow speed it would be worth the extra whether it helped improve the steering at higher speeds or not.

Anyone installed a No Feedback system on a similar boat? Also not 100% sure on which model to get. I have reached to Seastar/Teleflex but thought you guys would likely get back to me just as quickly and accurately. Thoughts or recommendations from all are welcome.

alldodge

Staff member
I am about at the end of my restoration project. I have been running the boat all summer and having a great time. So now I am looking to replace some of the old hardware that I just re-installed to actually have some fun on the thing. One item is the steering cable/helm. It is the original and I had to work some magic to get it to work at all so thinking about longevity, I am going to replace it.

The boat is a 19ft. Stingray open bow runabout type hull. It has the 3.0 motor in it at this time. It does not have any power or power assist steering. Just a rotary type helm.

I am wondering if a No Feedback system from Teleflex or UFlex would be worth the extra dough for me on this boat. I am specifically thinking about the wander I get at slower speeds like no wake areas. I understand it is normal to some extent, but I imagine that it is worse than average on my boat. So I think that if the No Feedback would decrease or eliminate this wandering at slow speed it would be worth the extra whether it helped improve the steering at higher speeds or not.

Anyone installed a No Feedback system on a similar boat? Also not 100% sure on which model to get. I have reached to Seastar/Teleflex but thought you guys would likely get back to me just as quickly and accurately. Thoughts or recommendations from all are welcome.

You will not stop the wondering with this or any steering system. Your out drive could be weld solid to the transom in and the boat will still wonder. The wonder is caused by the hull not the drive.

Gator1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well that makes sense. I guess my question would have been better phrased if I had asked would NFB steering would help in the actual steering corrections needed at a slower speed. I have seen a lot of people suggest to let the boat correct it self. Mine never does. It requires a lot of steering until speed increases.

alldodge

Staff member
Well that makes sense. I guess my question would have been better phrased if I had asked would NFB steering would help in the actual steering corrections needed at a slower speed. I have seen a lot of people suggest to let the boat correct it self. Mine never does. It requires a lot of steering until speed increases.

It will help if it removes some of the play. If I'm idling a ways I have figured out my boats and set the steering so it just tracks back and forth on it's own. The sweet spot can be found but you have to have room to allow it to go back in forth.

thumpar

Admiral
It will help if it removes some of the play. If I'm idling a ways I have figured out my boats and set the steering so it just tracks back and forth on it's own. The sweet spot can be found but you have to have room to allow it to go back in forth.
+1 You need to find the center. It will still wander but get you down the lake in an "S" to where you want to go. Trying to correct will make it worse in most cases.

Gator1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the responses guys much appreciated. I guess I'll go with the direct replacement.