NO electric to start

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi All!!<br /> <br /> I have a 71 E'rude (Model # 40153G ) that I have acquired and am having trouble with the wiring, I think. I have been running a 20 hp Johnny and have changed the wiring out from the previous boat that the 40 hp was on, put it in the boat without changing anything and can't get a PEEP out of anything electrical.<br /> It could be a number of things I know, but, are the switches on the port side of the engine and the safety switch at the top port side prone to go bad, and can they be by-passed in some manner to let this be started in order to fix the problem. Hope some of this makes sense.

Ranger01

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: NO electric to start

anything electrical along with mechanical is prone to going bad if the engine was sitting and neglected. I do a lot of wiring and often times if I have a problem its because I’m put a wire where is doesn’t go. Check over your wiring and verify every wire is going to where it is supposed to be going, and while your tracing them check the condition of the wire itself, faded or cracked wiring with cause problems, of course there are fuses which is always the classic. Sometimes a fuse will blow and you wont see the break in the fuse and think its still good try replacing them anyway. It’s good practice to get a manual for the motor though, you can get them here on iboats.

noshelter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

using a voltmeter helps too, i just traced all my wires checking to see if that was the reason the motor wasn't turning over, found power going throughout the entire engine, but the voltmeter eliminates a lot of problem areas, doesn't hurt to clean the poles, terminals, repair any damaged wires, etc, especially if you're running in the salt

Ranger01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if replacing wires is what it comes to then make sure to get the right wire. You want the most flexible wire, usually what's called type 3 wiring. when it comes to wiring dont go cheap, you'll regret it when the fire eats the boat or the migrane starts fromthe broke circuit

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the input! I love this site as it always has quick response and MORE than two heads are better than one.<br /> Just using a test light, when I go to the "start" position I get it to light on both of the smaller poles of the solenoid switch but never anything at the starter side of the solenoid. I can also get it to light on "start" on the switch on the side of the engine.

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class

GOT IT!!<br /> Traced it down to the switch that works off of the throttle/timing. Once I changed it, She spun over. Still need to find out why the timing can be moved by hand to where-ever with minimum movement of throttle tho. One step done!!