No crank, sad day, please help

Erie88renken

Cadet
So I have been on this site for 6 months now. I have learned so much and would like to thank all of you. I now own an 88 renken classic 2000. Got it from a friend. its a solid boat, no rot. Im trying to get her on the lake this season. My problem today is I tried to start her up for the first time but she wont start. Does not even crank. If this was a car I would clean and check all connections, charge the battery and try again. Then get a new starter if that doesnt work. Not sure if this is what i should do for the boat. Is it? 3.7 merc with an alpha one outdrive. I have been reading posts all day, but cant find what im looking for. Please help. thank you

p.s. When i turn the key the starter clicks. Like a car with a dead battery, or solenoid. just one click

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: No crank, sad day, please help

as long as its a soft click and not a crunch. 3.7 is the 4 cylinder FWC motor.does not like to get hot. remember that.
check battery
check cable connections at the starter and at the motor
if your solenoid is mounted under the exaust manifold, use jumper cable to jump the 2 large lugs.
If you solenoid is on the starter ,jump the yellow/red to the battery cable
starter should spin, if not remove starter for testing.

Erie88renken

Cadet

SUNP0052.JPG So Im guessing this is the problem. I will follow the steps in the link in your reply when i get back to the boat. These wires were just twisted together and wrapped with tape....who does that? they all come off the positive terminal for the battery. Can I just run them all directly to the pos terminal on the battery, or should i keep it as one line to the battery with two wires connecting to the one? Thank you

Erie88renken

Cadet

Also I feel like something is missing here, like a wire....any thoughts?SUNP0052.JPG

Attachments

• SUNP0046.JPG
    SUNP0046.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 0