no brakes!!!

loghomer

Seaman
Ok I'm now in my 40s. when I was 18 I was backing my boat down the launch ramp and POP..... brake pedal goes right to the floor and we are now going backward rather fast. So quick thinking me I throw the tranny in park and its a quick stop. After inspecting the car, the brake line busted.. Uh oh now what? Well I'll just rev it up, throw it in drive and pull out of the ramp. This worked really well. Next problem... we're about 10 miles from home. My buddy insists we can make it home with no brakes if we keep it in low, and go about 5 mph all the way home. This was working fine until we came up to the bridge (that we forgot about). It had an incline of about an 1/8 of a mile but a decline of about 1/4 mile. Needless to say we were doing about 20 mph going downhill off this bridge. Now this is bad for 2 reasons. 1. no brakes 2. There is a intersection at the bottom of the hill. Now after pressing emergency brake to the floor...NOTHING People were watching 2 idiots with their doors opened and feet trying to drag the ground to slow this nightmare down to no evail. Guess what? The light was green and we cruised right through...4 miles later I pulled up in front of my house. Had to rub tires against the curb to stop but all was fine. We looked at each other and thought "what the heck were we thinking" Now as a parent of a 20 yr old son myself, I see myself in him. He has really done some stupid things himself, and my wife will say "I don't know where he gets this from" I will just look at her and chuckle to myself and say honey "it must be from your side of the family.

JHOLE

Seaman Apprentice
Re: no brakes!!!

Hey , wait a minute, Oregon, Oh. Me too.

dogsdad

Lieutenant
Re: no brakes!!!

Good post, loghomer...I am about your age too. Afetr reading your post I finally can put a finger on why I always knew I didn't want to have kids. Me, all over again, at 18 years old...the world wouldn't ever be the same!<br /><br /> :D