No Bolt, Swim platform mounting bracket for trolling motor?

I have a mariah diablo 19' with a 3.0 alpha 1 mercruiser. i was thinking about mounting a small 2 stroke engine off the swimm platform for trolling or backup when I am out in the middle of the lake. Is there any type of mounting bracked that attaches to the swim platform or hangs onto the stern of the boat that does not need to be bolted on. Possible something that hangs on and then has grips which can be tightened ? And if so, would stearing the boat with the engine not in use act like a rudder if the 2stroke was fixed in a forward possition ?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: No Bolt, Swim platform mounting bracket for trolling motor?

I have often pondered that idea but have yet to find a suitable product. Steering with the main outdrive is possible in calm waters with no current, but it usually doesn't work very efficiently.

thats pretty nice but a little more than i plan on spending.

why wouldnt the platform be able to handle it ? If i can stand on it (200lbs) then why would a 50 lb outboard be an issue ?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

thats pretty nice but a little more than i plan on spending.

why wouldnt the platform be able to handle it ? If i can stand on it (200lbs) then why would a 50 lb outboard be an issue ?

A 200 pound static load is one thing. The dynamic forces generated by 50 pounds at full throttle going over waves is another thing.

I have seen suitable fixed mounts on Bayliners that have a full width transom platform. I believe its an option. But you specifically requested a clamp on type.

I was pondering the same thing. Eventually I went with a bolt-on bracket for my 2hp Honda but it's not what I really wanted. One option I liked except for the expense was this:

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/trolling_motors/engine_mount/freshwater.aspx

This is an electric trolling motor that mounts on your outboard or outdrive. On plane it's above the water out fo the way, and of course it steers with your wheel.

I know it's not exactly what you're asking since you specifically mentioned a two-stroke, but it's something to consider as an alternative to a gas kicker if you don't need a whole lot of range to get you home.