NMEA link GPS to VHF

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Garmin 478 GPS that has NMEA 2000 output and an ICOM 304 VHF with NMEA 0183 input. I have the two linked but DSC on the radio shows no position indicated. Is there a device that is used to convert the NMEA signal to something compatible? I heard two Coast Guard Pan Pan's over the weekend that told of receiving DSC distress signals with no positions indicated and that made me think about what I could do to get that information into my radio.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer
Re: NMEA link GPS to VHF

G-D, I do not think you should not require any type of intermediate device or interposing circuitry to make the connection. Double check the wiring paying particular attention to the ground wire(s). Also, check both devices for the proper menu configuration. For example, there might be a menu setting on the Garmin to define the specific output type for that serial port. You can probably download the owners manuals for both devices if you need to. I have a Garmin 546S and an ICOM 422 and the connection works without a problem. Hope you get this sorted out. - Woodnaut

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You need to make sure you have the NMEA 0183 output of the GPS connected to the NMEA 0183 input on the radio and the GPS is setup to transmit on NMEA 0183.

BTW: Looking at the manual, the Garmin 478 GPS doesn't appear to have NMEA 2000

mgmidget72

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here's a good article on NMEA 0183 http://www.boat-project.com/tutorials/nmea0183.htm
And an article on connecting a GPS to a VHF - http://www.boat-project.com/electro/proj-4.htm

Without a NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 converter, you wouldn't be able to simply hook the two together.

However, based on what dingbat just said, if the Garmin actually is NMEA 0183, you should be able to just connect the proper wires. You may also need to configure the GPS to turn on the NMEA 0183, and set the baud settings to match what your VHF is expecting. That should be in the VHF manual.

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. I connected the Garmin GPS to ICOM radio on the Sportcraft 252 and it works fine - gives the GPS coordinates on the radio screen like it's supposed to. On my Henry-O it doesn't do the same. I will have to review the wiring and GPS output info - must have done something wrong.