NJ fishermen HELP!

Matty1000

Seaman Apprentice
:rolleyes: Hey all, just wanted tto let you all know, I'm new to boating this year, and also don't have a lot of fishing under my belt. I have a few friends coming down to my boat in Brick this weekend (24' Cruisers Aria) We thought it'd be fun to go out for some quality fishing time this Sat. morning. Trouble is, they have about as much fishing knowledge as me. Just wanna know, will we be OK for 1 day fishing with borrowed freshwatrer poles, equip., etc? Or is salt-specific gear a must? What type of fish can we expect to find, the best lures, bait, methods, anything you all can think of that might allow us a few good hours together. I don't really care if we catch anything, just wanna see all my pals again, but I thought it would be nice to see them pulling something in. <br />Sorry for such a big request. Any help is greatly appreciated. <br />Thanx in advance,<br /> :rolleyes: Matt :rolleyes:

JGREGORY

Lieutenant
Re: NJ fishermen HELP!

Hey matty, As long as the freshwater poles are at least medium action with about 8-10lb test on them you should be fine, just remember to rinse them off when your done. The big difference is in the parts SW rods have more stainless steel parts than freshwater, After they dry from being rinsed spray them with some WD-40. Since you said you where borrowing the gear I try to return it better than I recieved it. We use freshwater Bass gear for Fluke & strippers all the time and just rinse them after every trip, some of those rods & reels are 10yrs old. The only problem that I have found is that if you need to put on 5oz. or more of weight they tend to be a little unmanageable. If you don't want to borrow gear Walmart is selling a nice Shakespear rod/reel package for $20.00 with line on it already.<br /><br />Striped bass are running check the regulations from what I'm seeing they are catching them on clam. Good luck weather supposed to be iffy sat. Just a reminder about the rods though if your fishing for strippers they can go up to 35"+<br /><br />Check out the Link I posted Yesterday for Jersey Fisherman. If you click on the scotts bait & tackle logo at the top Scotty has some great tips, with links to fish & game and regulations.

Matty1000

Seaman Apprentice

thanx for the info jg, hope you have a good season on the boat and with the fish.

JamNJ1955

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Matty,<br /><br />How did you make out? Catch anything?<br /><br />John

Matty1000

Seaman Apprentice

Haey Jam, we had a hell of a good time, unfortunately we didn't catch anything but the bottom a few times. :) It was good just to be able to hang out with my buds for a while tho. Hopefully it will get better through the summer.

Matty1000

Seaman Apprentice

Actually fireman, neither, I haven't had a drink in about 2 months. It started out that I just wanted to see if I could get through a weekend without drinking, and kept on going from there. I actually found that I enjoy myself more when I'm not drinking. Don't have to worry about getting busted by the C.G. or the Staties on the water, I sleep better, and I rememner more of the time I spend with my friends.

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer

Matty get out now!!! head north to sea girt or long branch the bass fishing is nothing short of amazing right now. Will last a week or two and then its over. Fish to 40lbs are being caught

JamNJ1955

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I keep my boat in Brick also, havnt had time to do any fishing yet. Hopefully soon...<br /><br />John

BrianTindall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad to see a Jersey group here! My brother-in-law has a place in Seabright, been trying to get up there to do some fishing. My area has been pretty good, just have to get out more!