Nitro 288 Sport Fueling Question

Len Dog

Cadet
I am having problems with a brand new Nitro 288 sport. I filled it up when I bought it. It is down to 1/2 tank, and It won't take fuel to top it off. I put in less than a gallon and it is staying in the filler line visible from the top? Any ideas would be appreciated. Unfortunatly I am not near my dealer.
Thanks for the help.

donnymac

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Nitro 288 Sport Fueling Question

Check the air vent tube for fuel in it. Some how on my boat after a bouncy day on the water, fuel some how manages to partialy fill the air vent tube I have to play with the hose(air vent) to get the fuel out.

hefe

Recruit

I've got a similar problem but with a twist-
-New nitro 288 with an empty tank will only take fuel at a trickle. The fuel backs up in the filler tube and blows back out. Tried opening the oil reservoir and venting the tank with no luck. Is there a vent on the top of this tank somewhere? (can't see one) I was able to get 10 gal of fuel in after 30 minutes at the pump. Once we hit the water to idle around for motor break in, the fuel system would go into vacuum pressure and stall the engine. I opened the gas cap to vent and still no luck. Primer ball does work, but we seem to have a vacuum problem somewhere in the system. Any help would be appreciated.
Jeffrey

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

Your vent in clogged

hefe

Recruit

do yo know where it is located? There are two feeds from the top of the tank and the access for the fuel sending unit. Any other places to look?

hefe

Recruit
Nitro 288 Sport Fueling Question & Solution

Nitro 288 Sport Fueling Question & Solution

Figured it out-
The genius that installed the fuel tank from the factory had left the plastic dust plug in the aluminum vent fitting on top of the tank- I pulled the hose clamp and the vent tube and discovered said little orange 1/2" plug that should have been pulled out by the assembler prior to vent line installation. I blew out 1/2 a cup of gas from the vent line with the air compressor, reassembled and whaddya know, she took on 30 gallons of premium in a heartbeat; no spills, no burps. NEVER trust that some one did the job right the first time-
Good luck to all boat owners
Jeffrey