Nissan/Tohatsu reverse gear rod adjustment?

I have a 15hp 4Stroke Dec 06 Model NSF15B2 electric start tiller outboard. It won't stay in Reverse without holding the shift lever in R. There is no grinding and is smooth shifting but pops out. I've looked at the shift rod to the lower unit and it's got a double pin to connect the rod to the lower unit housing/gear case. There isn't any apparent rod length adjustment as I think it just needs a little more length to stay in reverse. I've also looked inside the case and the shift lock (appears to be a formed plastic with detents to hold it into your gear selection. However, it won't go into the detent for reverse, just sits on the top and seemingly the problem and no adjustment to give the rod a little more length to allow it to go into the reverse detent. Anybody have a solution for adjusting it. Thanks

Upper linkage may be bent.
I thought that might be a possible cause and checked two links for slop and bending, found all to be tight and factory straight? However, I noticed that the cable for the forward starting lock was tight and connected to the rotating poly cams below. Loosened the spring and seemed to be the same but a little easier to move the shift lever, but still didn't fully go into the final cog on the ratcheted cam for the shift pull and push rod to the lower gearcase. Still needs some length in the down mechanism somewhere? It still slips out of reverse when backing and then slow down it pops out when the water windmills the prop. How hard to drop the gearcase with the pin on the shift rod? Do you punch it out so the lower can be dropped for impeller replacement? Thanks for the consideration.