Nissan SF30A tilt assembly

dgt69

Cadet
I have a 2003 Nissan 4s outboard. The tilt brackets are rusted solid and will not move even with penetrating oil. When I say "tilt bracket" I am referring to when the tilt is all the way in up position and you rotate the tilt brackets down to rest on mounting plate to support engine and take stress of trim/tilt cylinder. Solid rod with welded bracket goes through 1 side and other side is held on with a pin. Drilled side with pin to get that bracket off. Shaft with welded bracket will not budge. Nissan used cheap metal instead of stainless or high grade aluminum. Any other ideas on getting this off so I can install new one? Worried about banging on it too hard. Thanks

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Nissan SF30A tilt assembly

The removable arm is attached with a roll pin. Typically one should drive that out rather than drill, as drilling might lead to an oversized hole, which won't work with the standard spring pin. The tilt stopper assembly (3R0S62470-0) rides in collars (353-63207-0) on each side, so you should be able to use the standard penetrating oil and tap tap tap procedure (with patience) to drive it out. There is an "anodizing" plating on those pieces that has been improved on the newer stock. In the future, it would be prudent to lubricate the shaft/collar area periodically.

dgt69

Cadet

Thanks for your reply. I already bought the replacement parts but have not been able to get the rest of assembly out. I could not get that roll pin out so thats why I drilled it. The collars that you mention are actually plastic. I wouldn't have let these parts reach this condition but that is how I bought it.

pvanv

Admiral

Standard procedure is now to tap, tap, tap, on the end of the shaft to drive it out a hair at a time until it's free of the corrosion and comes out. You may need a drift punch to complete the tapping if it doesn't come free by the time the end of the shaft is flush with the casting. Odds are that once you clear the nylon collars, it will all just pop apart. Here in the fresh water of the Great Lakes, I've never seen one as seized as you describe. But salt is a different environment.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Try with nice dose of brake fluid, let penetrate well and then tap, tap, tap :D

Happy Boating