Nissan ns5b running rich

mikejones9547

Recruit
I have a ns5b I just purchased took it out today for the first time. Starts right up everytime. But under load it bogs, anything over 1/8 throttle, changed plug as it was fouled checked fuel ratio went back out same problem. Tightened the adjustment screw on carb it got a little better but still not great. Could this be an ignition problem or a carb jet issue? any advise is appreciated. Don't want to dump a bunch of money into this outboard.

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
If you're 100% sure it's running rich and not lean, then my first guess would be a sticking float that's flooding it. Or maybe the choke isn't turning off all the way, double check that the choke is turning off completely. My real guess is your main jet is clogged and it's actually getting too lean when you give it throttle. In both cases I would first clean the carburetor and see what that gets you. Take everything apart, shoot cleaner and air through every hole (wear goggles), make sure you can see light through the jets. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner then that can help a bunch.

mikejones9547

Recruit
If you're 100% sure it's running rich and not lean, then my first guess would be a sticking float that's flooding it. Or maybe the choke isn't turning off all the way, double check that the choke is turning off completely. My real guess is your main jet is clogged and it's actually getting too lean when you give it throttle. In both cases I would first clean the carburetor and see what that gets you. Take everything apart, shoot cleaner and air through every hole (wear goggles), make sure you can see light through the jets. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner then that can help a bunch.
I'm fairly certaint it's rich as I changed the plug and checked it after a 20 min run and it was completely black and oily I will take the carb apart tomorrow and clean it. Thanks for the response.

mikejones9547

Recruit
I'm fairly certaint it's rich as I changed the plug and checked it after a 20 min run and it was completely black and oily I will take the carb apart tomorrow and clean it. Thanks for the response.
Pretty sure I got it sorted. Fuel float valve seemed to be sticking. I pulled it out sprayed it down w cleaner put it back in ran it I'm a test barrel seems to build power better. Going to drop it in the river a little later and give it a go.