Nissan 70HP - No Spark -

SubZer0

Cadet
I have a Nissan 70HP; 2 cylinder; Upon trying to start the engine everything runs but I could not get the a spark at the spark plug end. I had it checked by about five different techs; all agree that ALL the wiring is correctly fitted. We are now suspecting the coils underneath the flywheel. This because when we checked the primary voltage running out of the primary coils we only had 0.04Volts. Now I am trying to lift off the flywheel obviously with a puller, but this wouldn't budge. Any idea how this flywheel could be taken off?<br />Also any idea why there could be no spark?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Nissan 70HP - No Spark -

The flywheel is only held on by the nut, so bring the nut up so that it is even with the top of the crankshaft. While prying up underneath the flywheel(be careful you have the flyheel and not the coil plate), smack the nut with a hammer. The flywheel will pop loose. As to the spark....Anything in the electrical ignition system can cause a spark loss. Get a service manual and run the tests on every ignition part. One will test bad..........Usually it's the CD module that fails on outboards.

SubZer0

Cadet

I expect to find three coils under the flywheel. Am I right? I am suspecting these coils since they only gave 0.04V output when tested. I think these should at least give 6V to 8V.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

You will need a service manual to tell you the values and how to test the system, and there are three coils on the plate. But only two, the exciter coil and the pulser/trigger coil, have anything to do with the ignition system.

SubZer0

Cadet

Thanks very much Senior Chief Petty Officer for your kind help. Could you please direct me to a site were I can find a service manual. My motor's model is Nissa 70A2. I have found almost all Nissans' service manuals especial the B Types but none foe the A Types.<br /><br />Thanks again

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Iboats should have one. If not, go to nissanmarine.com.

SubZer0

Cadet

Thanks, I found the manual on nissanmarine.com I'll let you know of my progress. In the mean time I'm still trying to remove the flywheel. Seems quite stubborn. I have applied so much force that one of the bolts on the puller got sheared. Still no sign of movement from the flywheel.<br /><br />Thanks

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Flywheel pullers often need a little help. Slam the top of the puller with a hammer and it should pop the flywheel loose.

SubZer0

Cadet

Hi, Senior Chief Petty Officer. I managed to lift the flywheel off. The charging coil is not giving a contiuity reading; I bought a new one; will change it this evening. Hope this is the ONLY fault and will start the motor after that.<br /><br />In the meantime, do you think I can find a parts list manual on the internet. I mean with all the part numbers as the Nissan agent here in Malta seems to over charge. This simple coil just cost me $81.00 approx.<br />Thanks & Regards<br />Joe (Malta)

D

DJ

Are you SURE the kill switch is connected???

SubZer0

Cadet

Started engine yesterday. It was the charging coil underneath the flywheel. Quite a hassel but I'm happy that I did it. Looking at it from the bright side, at least the thing broke out on land and not while at sea.<br /><br />Thanks & Regards

SubZer0

Cadet

Thanks very much Senior Chief Petty Officer. With your help now I have a parts catalogue for my engine. Now that I'm online, allow me to ask another question pls. How can I get an owner's manual for a Johnson 9.9HP<br />Many Thanks & Best Regards