Night fishing for Bass tips?

DallasJeff

Seaman
I've been fishing at night lately due to the heat in Dallas and because I have to work in daylight hours.

How should I be fishing for largemouth bass at night? The water is about 78 degrees, up from about 74 two or three weeks ago.

I tried fishing in about 15 feet of water near a rocky area adjacent to the dam. But I've only caught sand bass using crankbait running about 6-8 feet deep. In five night s of fishing I've caught a lot of sand bass but not a single largemouth. the fishing report says largemouth are good to excellent at this lake.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Re: Night fishing for Bass tips?

You could try a topwater bait. Jitterbug, spook, sammy, a Prop bait, or a buzz bait. The jitterbug is the easiest to use, basically just a cast and retrieve. Scope out the area during the daylight. Find a spot that is shallow close to rocks or weedbeds with deeper water near by. Work the bait along the inside and outside weed edges. Better yet if you find weeds that are not up to the surface, work the bait over them. You should try the lures you chose in the daylight once so you can see how they work. Top water is an exciting way to catch bass.

Tightlines.

gonefishie

Commander

Find a shallow flat, point etc... adjacent to daytime hideout. Not The Hideout, JB won't bite at night and might shoot at ya thinking you're a burglar. :D Night time lures I like are black or black/blue skirted big single colorado blade spinnerbait, black buzzbait, plastic of choice is at least 10" black/blue worm. The biggest one I've caught at night was on a 12" worm. You need a big profile, noisy, lot of vibration type of bait at night. I think the color black and blue show up better in the dark to the fish.

polk county

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you want good bass fishing at night you have to find crystal clear water. Im talking gin clear. Ive caught tons of bass off of black texas rigged worms on the edge of weed beds. Places that should hold bass during the day are excellent at night. The secret is to find water with over six ft of visibility.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The water in Orange Lake ain't real clear. So I use top water plugs that make noise over the weed beds. I think it pisses them off more than anything.:D

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

generally here in florida the technique that works best for me at night is to cover a lot of water throwing a buzzbait or small poppers, topedos, etc . keep moving while casting around in shallow areas with lots of weeds and/or structure. only works well in warm water. ive caught a lot of 4+ lbs bass on buzzbaits in the dark.

All of the above mentioned tips should steer you in the right direction. I'd like to night fish, but the mosquitos and other bugs get too crazy this time of year once the sun goes down. They are like vampires. :D

I'd work buzzbaits and plastics in dark colors like others have said. I can't remember where I heard it, but I think dipping the tail of your worm/lizard/creature in chartreuse may also be a good idea when fishing either night or day.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I love top water fishing with a poper or popar especially in the early morning, it is even better with a fog covered lake. Sometimes I do alright with a jitterbug. Dang I need to get my boat fixed :(:rolleyes:.