NFL Week 12

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: NFL Week 12

I only caught one Saints games before last night, when they played the Lions, and the Lions can make almost any team look good. But woah, those Saints are the real deal. They were making the Pats look like the Lions (and I hate to say that because I like the Pats-- Brady being a former Michigan QB).

I was kind of suprised when Brady was taken out with over 5 minutes left though. Sure, the way the Saints were playing it was highly unlikely that the Pats could make up 21 points. But wasn't Indy down 17 to the Pats with 4 minutes left a couple weeks ago? Didn't seem in character for Belichek to just give up like that. That's when I turned the game off. I figured if Belichek was giving up, I was too.

There's been some great football this season. I'm not making any obvious predictions, but Colts-Saints would make for a great Superbowl matchup. Vikes-Saints in the playoffs would be a fun matchup too, and I wouldn't mind seeing old Brett get to the SB. But it sure looks like the Saints year.

gonefishie

Commander

I only caught one Saints games before last night, when they played the Lions, and the Lions can make almost any team look good. But woah, those Saints are the real deal. They were making the Pats look like the Lions (and I hate to say that because I like the Pats-- Brady being a former Michigan QB).

I was kind of suprised when Brady was taken out with over 5 minutes left though. Sure, the way the Saints were playing it was highly unlikely that the Pats could make up 21 points. But wasn't Indy down 17 to the Pats with 4 minutes left a couple weeks ago? Didn't seem in character for Belichek to just give up like that. That's when I turned the game off. I figured if Belichek was giving up, I was too.

There's been some great football this season. I'm not making any obvious predictions, but Colts-Saints would make for a great Superbowl matchup. Vikes-Saints in the playoffs would be a fun matchup too, and I wouldn't mind seeing old Brett get to the SB. But it sure looks like the Saints year.

I think the Beli-cheat had gone off his rocker. I am sure Ted Bruschi will comes up with some excuses to explain his sifu's action.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think the Beli-cheat had gone off his rocker. I am sure Ted Bruschi will comes up with some excuses to explain his sifu's action.

Beli-cheat, heh. He has gotten kind of nutty lately, but it's always been about overreaching while trying to win. Pulling Brady was just giveing up, not like him.

Sifu? :confused: not familiar with that one.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I think he pulled Brady because he knew he wasn't going to win the game and felt that there was sense in risking injury to him.

The Saints player that I would give the game ball to is Mike McKenzie. Although he played for the Saints previously, its not the same "D" and he walked in after being "unemployed," like it was nothing. The Saints picked him up 9 days before the game, practiced with him during a holiday week, yet the guy had the program down and acted like it. Amazing!

???

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think he pulled Brady because he knew he wasn't going to win the game and felt that there was sense in risking injury to him.

The Saints player that I would give the game ball to is Mike McKenzie. Although he played for the Saints previously, its not the same "D" and he walked in after being "unemployed," like it was nothing. The Saints picked him up 9 days before the game, practiced with him during a holiday week, yet the guy had the program down and acted like it. Amazing!

???

I understand why a coach would pull a qb in that situation, it just didn't seem like a "berserker Belichek" thing to do.

Anyway, all props to your Saints, Jay. The Colts are 11-0 mainly due to Mannings heroics, pulling them out of a hole and squeaking by in the 4th q. It's a lot of fun to watch, but I can see a first or second round upset there. The Saints on the other hand looked unstoppable last night. Even with a patched-up defense as you point out, they are firing on all cylinders.

gonefishie

Commander

Mike you're right about Manning being a great QB but the Colts didn't win on just his ability. The defense is pretty darn good, don't forget they have the lowest ppg allowed. All those amazing comebacks were started by the defense making the neccessary stops and turnovers.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mike you're right about Manning being a great QB but the Colts didn't win on just his ability. The defense is pretty darn good, don't forget they have the lowest ppg allowed. All those amazing comebacks were started by the defense making the neccessary stops and turnovers.

The Colt's D has the lowest ppg, huh? Wouldn't have thought that. They seem like they typically start out soft, then tighten it up after the half. That was a whole different, azz-kickin Colts defense on the field in the second half of the Texans game.

Maybe the Colts are just toying with their opponents, spotting them a couple touchdowns and a field goal, then putting the hammer down. Manning probably gets bored otherwise :D

Anyways, I wasn't trying to say the Colts are a one man show, just that the Saints look to be the more well-rounded and dominant of the two 11-0 teams. But I sure wouldn't count the Colts out, that's a team that finds a way to win.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I agree that the Colts are not a one man show - you don't go 11-0 on the skills of one person.

I haven't watched any of the Colts games, so I don't have an opinion on which team (Saints v. Colts) is a better team. What I will say, is that they are both quite good, or they wouldn't be where they are.

Right now, I'm just watching the Saints with amazement - we have never had a team like this in New Orleans, so we really don't know how to react to the situation in some ways. I guess my overall take on them is as Mike says - they are firing on all cylinders. They also seem to have an unexpectedly good depth, in terms of having people to pick up where injured players left off.

If there is a "starter" on the Saints who makes me nervous, its John Carney. While he certainly has an impressive, overall record, I just don't think he is currently kicking at a level that would make him of "Superbowl calibre." Further, if the Saints do manage to go to the SB, they are going to face a very tough team, no matter who that might be. Such a game can easiliy come down to a field goal or extra point kick and I'm not sure that Carney is the guy to place that kind of faith in.

With this win, I think it is quite possible that the Saints could "run the table" in regular season play this year. If they do, they probably stand a good chance of being successful in the payoffs, as well.

As the saying goes, "we shall see!" WHO DAT!"

???

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm happy for ya Jay--The success of the Saints after so many "Aints" seasons gives me hope that one day the Lions will become a successful franchise, and maybe even win a Superbowl...if not in my lifetime, maybe in my sons'...:rolleyes: