next project - a 'floating' bed

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
our 'final' remodel project ont he house is to rejig the master bath and in the process bump into the bedroom with the closet. I'm coming in about ~40" along an 8.5' wall. In order to fit furniture in there we are going to replace the GIANT stuff (with a bench) with some smaller (sort of) custom pieces. More on that later.

The start is a new bed. I'll be gaining about 10" floor space on the length and about 5" on width. I decided to go with a Scandinavian style, very minimalist. The one we have is pretty ornate and keeping it dusted/clean is a b.....

So in researching what to do I found floating beds. Not by ropes but with a small pedestal underneath that you cannot see unless laying on the floor and for counterbalance either concrete blocks or (my choice) lag bolting to the base plate in the wall - after removing the base molding.

Lots of styles out there but I'm leaning to this one for a couple reasons.

ee0ef9336dba503906124401c3354ccd.jpg

The base on mine will be much smaller and lower to the floor plus the finished wood side will drop below the frame wood. May do LED's, not sure - but I really like this headboard and the small footboard style.

So here is my almost done frame. I ran out of drops and scrap at the house so need to go to the barn and find a couple more peices.

**the cost of lumber is crazy**

6kvktJw.jpg

I will paint the base black and use a birch ply to cover the construction lumber.

The dressers are only going to be 11' deep and will hang on the wall, like kitchen cabinets. They will be 6" up then 90" to the ceiling. That way we keep the base molding but do not have to lose that 1/2" or so that it would need. They will be 60" call, one door per 15" wide box. One will have 4 doors one will have 5. Overall we will a bunch more space. Our current furniture sticks out from the wall about 16" so this saves floor space. Will have a crap pile of shelves and we'll have a few baskets instead of drawers.

On top of the boxes will be an open shelf for dust catchers and a TV.

2vRckNo.png

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
update

Got the bed in. Headboard still needs to be built but at least we are not sleeping on the floor. Sold the old stuff a couple days early.

So here is the wifes cabinet, without the doors. Each section has five shelves, more or less as needed. We have 8 baskets coming to hold the small stuff like socks.

3tiS7sA.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
We got my cabinet hung yesterday. It sits on a wood ledger just above the floor trim so just enough to clean underneath with the dust mop. I guess I forgot pic, I'll get it tomorrow when I hang the other. I'm running electrical for the TV and stuff.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
side note, this is an awesome fan. A bit more involved to hang than normal and cannot wire light to switch (but then i'm stuipid with wires) so have to use remote thankfully we do not use the overhead light often. Moves a ton of air on low, almost totally silent,

71RZhYcBx6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

southkogs

Staff member
Didn't realize you were gonna' "float" the cabinet too, until I saw it. Very cool. I like the Scandinavian styles. Problem for me is I can't decide if I like the cool of the floater, like you did ... or the storage of a captain's style.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Didn't realize you were gonna' "float" the cabinet too, until I saw it. Very cool. I like the Scandinavian styles. Problem for me is I can't decide if I like the cool of the floater, like you did ... or the storage of a captain's style.
the initial plan was storage and as i was looking for ideas I came across the floating. We have a huge walk in closet so we are good on space. These cabinets, even though 6" less deep than the old, hold about 50% more.