Newbie with a few questions

Byteme000

Cadet
I just purchased my first boat. 1989 marathon 22? with a 4.3 Volvo Penta engine. I have the boat in my driveway preparing it for a trip to Lake Erie. I checked the impeller then attached muffs to the water intake on the lower unit and started the engine. I let the engine idle for a few minutes then shut it off. While the engine was running I looked for water being pumped out of the outdrive but didn?t see any. Where does the water exit the drive and should I see it as soon as I start the engine? This was the first time engine has been run since it was winterized last fall. Also I want to lube all the fitting on the outdrive, what kind of greese should I use. Thanks for any advise.

PortsidePappy

Recruit
Re: Newbie with a few questions

Basically if there is no water spiting out the outdrive you are not getting water circulation in your engine cooling system

first - water should be spiting out of the exhaust exit right above where the prop is on the outdrive at least by the first minute . Beware if its not, you could have a overheating prob and ruin the impeller. If thats the case and after it is warmed up it overheats try to bypass the outdrive and put the garden hose on the rubber hose that connects the seawater intake to the seawater pump. Does it still overheat? might be leak in the engine cooling system if it does not overheat could be suction problem on water intake on outdrive.

Byteme000

Cadet

The water is comming out between the transom and the outdrive, maybe bad exhaust hose? I haven't let engine run long enough to overheat. Also I took the belts off and spun water pump by hand and it makes noise line a rubber seal? Is the water pump the same as an automobile pump?

erikgreen

Captain

On my mercruiser there are exhaust relief holes in the transom, it's normal for some exhaust and water to come out there, especially at idle.

Watch your temperature gauge while you're running it on muffs or otherwise... it's the main thing that will keep you from destroying your engine through accident, broken part, or new boat owner ignorance.

It's not the same as a car pump, since it has to deal with "junk" water sucked up from whatever the boat is sitting in.. a regular car pump would fail quickly. I don't know what volvo parts cost, but a similar mercruiser part would be about $90 or so new.

Again, I'm guessing that volvos are like mercs here, but there should be a second pump of sorts in the lower leg of the outdrive... it's an impeller that sucks up water from the lake/whatever and pushes it up to the big pump you're looking at. It needs maintenance more often than the big pump, but muffs sort of bypass the need for it so you have to test it in a big bucket or on the water.

Good luck, I'm hoping to be on lake superior with my first boat in a few weeks (before it gets too cold).

Erik

dazid1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In the origonal post you say you checked the impela? I would of put a new one in if I was taking the trouble of checking it.

Byteme000

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. Tonight I went to wallyWorld and bought a 35gal tub filled it with water and ran the engine for about 15mins (dual props wont fit in trash can). Everything seems fine, water temp gauge reads normal, water flowing out of outdrive. The reason I just checked the impeller is on my engine it is very easy to get to and I didn't have a new one to replace it with.

Maclin

Admiral

You did not mention the model of your VP drive, but my 290 has a drain hole at the front of the "torpedo" above the skeg. It is lower than the intake grates and can cause air entry when on the muffs. I had a hard time getting the muffs to work on mine, standard ones are not a good match to the VP's configuration. I went to Wally World also and got a big tote, mine is a duoprop and I needed the length of a big tote to fit the drive in. I have to leave the drive up a bit then put the tote under and work the drive back down slowly and let it move the tote forward with it, then fill the tote. Anyway, it flows water like crazy with that setup. You also do not have to worry about the rpm and outpacing the water flow from the hose. Be sure to leave the hose on in the tub to keep the water level up and the temp down on the water as warmer engine water comes in.