Newbie needs help

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi folks, I'm a newbie to smaller boats although I've been on larger boats (over 600 ft ones in the Navy - over 10 years) I virtually know nothing about the smaller ones (i.e. how to launch it, how to retrieve it from the water, etc).<br /><br />Me and my wife have been seriously considering purchasing a nice used cuddy cabin boat for a decent price. You know, something to just go putz on, pull a tube or whatever, yet good enough to spend the night if the water/weather is right.<br /><br />Do you have any recommendations on size? I mean is 19' enough on the bay or would I be better off with 21'? I really don't want something too large since I'm a newbie navigator.<br /><br />I'm not new to engines and have a race car (Supercharged Mustang) and am not afraid to get my hands dirty if I need to work on whatever engine it has. <br /><br />So do you think I could get a cuddy-type boat for a decent price? If so, what kind of price would I be looking at and what brands should I stay away from or head towards?<br /><br />Sorry for all the questions... and I really appreciate the help very much!<br /><br />Thank you very much,<br /> Tim

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: Newbie needs help

I have a 19' open **** pit, closed bow. Most of the time I stay in the tribs. Rock,Marley,Bear,Back creeks and Patap and Mag rivers. As you can see the rivers around but not in the bay. I have been out on the bay a couple of times with it (started from a creek). One time (out of the two) I was out by the Harbor light and it took only about three min's (on a sunny day) for the waves to wip up from 1 foot to 5. My boat could handel it but I took a whole lot of water over the bow and it wasnt a lot of fun jumping them either. Five foot drops with a 2500lb boat dosent feel very good on the back and it cant be good for the boat.<br /> As for pricing, you are in the right place for looking for a boat(Md). Check the Penny saver and the Sun paper. If you are real handy there is a place on Eastern Ave (next to the treatment plant)called the Boat Doctor. They deal in salvage boats. They have a couple of good cheap buys but the owner is a little shadey so know what you are buying befor you do. Check it out good. If you dont buy you can check prices and they are good source For used parts.

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you very much. I have been looking on boattrader.com and a few others just to get a feel for what I'm getting myself into. <br /><br />So personally you think 19-21' is not large enough for the bay or ???? I know you said the waves whipped up from 1 to 5 foot... was your boat taking on water severely or ????<br /><br />Sorry for all the questions again, I'm just new and trying to understand all of this. I realize that you probably need to pay good attention to weather forecast and all that stuff.<br /><br />Another thing that I'm a little concerned about is the truck I own. It's rated to pull up to around 5,000 lbs and it's a 95 Toyota T-100 with a V-6 and is 4 wheel drive. Would that be enough truck you think? Anyone else here have a similar truck and pull a boat w/trailer easily?<br /><br />Any other suggestions?<br /><br />Thank you,<br /> Tim

f_inscreenname

Commander

The truck is fine. I tow with a 3/4 ton chevy van. A 19' is fine on most days but...... I didnt take on a lot of water (nothing the bilge pump couldnt handel) but I was wet. A cuddy will help (you sit up higher) and I would think about a 21' if you plan on being in the bay much. I tend to run the rivers and creeks,plenty to see and do.In the bay there is nothing but water. Also I like to go fast (50 to 60 mph) and you cant do that in five foot wake unless you have a 30 footer.<br /> You must check E-Bay. That is where I got my last one. It may take a day trip to go look at it but it will be worth it.

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

f_inscreenname ,<br /> Thanks for all the help. Only reason I mentioned the bay is because I don't know my way around :) I'll probably stick to the creeks and rivers or whatever but would like to maybe take a ride down to the inner harbor a time or two if the boat will make it that far hehe.<br /><br /> I'm also interested in boat launching places. I'm assuming since I live in a water type area (Pasadena, Md) there are plenty of places to launch at but I don't know of them. Do they charge anything to launch your boat and leave your car/truck or ??? Again, I'm new with this so bear with me here... <br /><br /> Thanks on the info on the truck, I thought it would probably haul it but it doesn't currently have a towing package although I'll get one when I do figure out what boat I want, etc. <br /><br /> Also, do I need to take any safety courses or anything like that to drive a boat? I need to know the basics like passing on the "xx" side only and stuff like that. I guess there are also "no wake" zones as well and you have to keep a certain speed? Any info you can provide here would be great.<br /><br />Thanks again for all your help,<br /> Tim

f_inscreenname

Commander

Check with the Maryland DNR web site for rules a safty course. I would do it.It dosent seem very cool but you will pick up a couple of good points and depending on your age you may have to. As for ramps. Do web search for boat ramps for AA co. I think there is only 3 public (belive it or not,the same county that the Naval Ac is in. The rest are privet ramps. Some cost between 5 to 10 bucks the rest you have to live in the hood that it is in. As for the Harbor. If you tow there is a ramp a 1/4 mile away and two others inbetween (thats Baltimore Co,weird isnt it?).

chesire

Seaman

Hi My wife and I purchased our first boat last Aug. We didn't really look at all that many boats but we did look at a few, and looking on the internet and local papers. I was looking to get a small fish and ski boat with an open bow and with enough power to pull a tube or two or a wakeboard. We happened upon an older gent who was selling his boat due to a recent stroke. It was a 1986 19' glastron cuddy with a 140 mercruiser I/O. The wife liked the idea of the cabin due to the kids ages 5 and 7. At first I w2asn't real happ about the cuddy but after what happened the other day I am glad. The othe day we were out boating tubing and what not and after a while we took a trip out to the ocean. we headed out about 8-10 miles and got caught in a nasty thunder storm. all was well with the kids, wife, and dog in the cabin. the swells where 3-6 ft and she handled good. I however was scared Sh*&less and the dog got sick. I have been out in the ocen many times before just never in such a bad storm. I saw the storm coming just got wraped up in chasing a sea turtle. I dont know what kind of conditions of your bay but here in South Fl the Ocean usually has 1-5 ft swells durring the summer. I think any thing bigger you would need a bigger motor. Bigger motor = more gas. I am planning an overnight camping trip on a small island in the intercoastal this weekend I'll let you know how it goes. If you buy a used boat do some homework and and get it checked out. I had some small problems nothing major but I could have gotten the price droped a little more. the 140 pushes us 42-5 47 once. A tank of fuel will last all day skiing and cruising around burns a little quick if I run for a while at WOT. Over all I am happy with my boat and am now glad I got the cuddy. <br /> Good Luck and have fun

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to everyone and the warm welcome and incredible advice. I will be lurking since I'm in no rush to buy and will be looking out for a good deal I guess I can't pass up :) <br /><br />Again thanks.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

tteal - Your post brings back many memories. You are doing the right thing by getting as much input from those who have been there and - - . As for me I have had 3 trailerable cabin boats over the years. The first was a 17' with a 75 hp outboard. Second was an 18 1/2' with a 100hp. Both of these were full cabins and of the express cruiser design where the helm was mounted on the aft bulkhead of the cabin. I ran both of these in the Chesapeake (sp?) and in the water around Newport News, Va. The third was a 27 1/2' flybridge I/O on a triple axle trailer. While I liked all the space this was a terror to pull down the road. I ran this mostly in Biscayne Bay and the Florida keys. I liked all of them sorta. My wife & three kids like any kind of boat. With the three cabin jobs we found though that the cabin was used most of the time as a place to put our "stuff" and not much for overnights. I also did not like the exhaust gasses getting sucked up in the cockpit as we went along.<br /><br />My current boat (there have been others in between) is a 23' center console with two outboards which, for us and our boating lifestyle, is ideal. I have a canvas dodger for the front which folds out of the way but can always be put up in the event of rain or to overnight. We are not fishing people but enjoy all of the space and storage compartments that this boat gives us.<br /><br />You will find that you adapt to the backing of the trailer, boat ramp stuff and other basics fairly quickly. Taking a course is an excellent idea. One thing to emphasize, from me at least, is that I never go anywhere on the water without a full set of charts even in water I have been over hundreds of times. That and a good sense of awareness of where you are and how to both get to where you want to go AND get back are vital in my book.<br /><br />I won't comment on common sense - watch out for the idiots out there and don't over extend either your equipment or yourself and you'll do fine.<br /><br />The best,<br /><br />Howard<br />32 years of boats<br />Miami, Fl

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SoLittle,<br /> Thanks for that advice. A lot of my friends say I'm nuts and that boats are a pain in the neck and very high maintenance. I already figured they had maintenance associated but cannot figure out why they say that all boaters will tell me there is only one happy time with a boat "When you buy it" & "When you sell it"? <br /><br /> Why are they saying these kinds of things and is it true?

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer

tteal, that saying is partly true, but not literally. It refers to the often frequent maintenance and headaches that go along with owning a boat, but to me it is all worth it to get out on the water.
To some, spending hours working on the motor may be a pain in the neck or somewhere else, but to some (me included) it's a learning experience and more added peace of mind next time your out enjoying the boat.
If you don't do repairs yourself, costs can add up quick even for simple repair jobs.
I spent many hours last spring and most of june rebuilding my Mercury outboard, repairing the trailer, touching up the boat, and picking fiberglass off my clothes. However, after enjoying many many successful weekends on the water, it was defnitly worth it.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't spend a lot of money on your first boat. Get on the water, and find out how you use the boat. Refine your criteria as you learn. You will then know what to get for your next boat.

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi,
As all the above has already said, I 'am fairly new to boating too beware of your first small boat purchase I just purchased my second boat a 24ft cuddy cruiser and from my mistake first make sure your pull vehicle can pull it..... safely, second warning they are much harder to learn on, and dangerous.
its all up to you and your experience.
take care happy boating

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome Newbie,

I wanted to relay my advise, based upon my recent boating mistakes. I have always wanted a boat as far back as I can remember.

I finally achieved a position in life that I could afford one. I bought a 17 foot center console, looked at if for 20 minutes, started the motor and took it home. Not the way to do it. Took it out on the water with speaker wire hooked to the battery. It got put on the lift incorrectly and swamped. Uninsured...

Started reading this forum... There are more knowledge folks here than in any one book you could possibly buy. Don't shy away from the book learning, but the people here are a wealth of 'been there and done that wrong' type of knowledge. And don't be afraid to ask any question of the great people here.

Went shopping for the second one, starting to pay attention to the ?little? things.

The goal is to find a boat that meets your need but doesn't contain enough surprises that you regret buying it. Don't buy a boat unless you can actually take it out on the water first. Would you buy a car without a test drive ?

Take your wife with you (listen to her). And if you can get one of these old salts to look at it for you, you will be way above the curve.

Everything that has as many systems as a boat does, is going to require maintenance, but your military experience should have taught you to take care of your equipment. You don't want a boat that has been neglected.

Take a on-line boat safety course, required or not. There are no road maps for the water. Start reading up on boating, navigation, charts, electronics and the ?how to articles.?

Check out everything on a boat. i.e. deck strength (I jumped up and down on mine). Does that boat sit stable on the trailer ?

Look at the space where the batteries are kept, are there bare wires, is the copper wire orange, pink or green ?

Bad 12 volt wiring on a boat will cause more problems that my ex-mother-in-law, and she lived next door to us. I have spent well over a 100 hours and close to a thousand dollars re-wiring my boat.

Make sure the gas tank(s) are aluminum or stainless, fiberglass isn't holding up to the Ethanol. Plan on a major motor tune up.

If the cost to buy a boat is a ?large? expenditure for you & your family, read these posts and you will be a much more informed buyer.

Good Luck