Newbie Needs Help

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Newbie Needs Help

Make sure you feed it water before starting it. Is it a four stroke or a two stroke motor? the two stroke needs an oil/gas mix.<br />You might want to re post in the proper outboard forum.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to General Outboard

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

It is important to know if a 2 or 4 cycle. Also new could mean new to you(older model just bought) or a brand new 2004. <br /> If a classic 50(2 cycle) then if oil injected(will have a cap on left side of cowling while looking at, mounted on boat looking from inside the boat, with a horizontal window also. This shows oil level). If you do not have either and it does not say 4 cycle than it is an older 50 which needs oil added(50/1, which is 16oz's of oil per 6 gal tank.<br /> Please give more info as bik-in-blu suggested and more help can be given.

its a 2 cycle, new to me, its either an '80 or '82, uses a 50:1 mix, it sat for 3-4 years with the last owner and he winterized it before he put it away

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Make sure your battery is fully charged, they like lots o juice. Check the plugs, check each wire/plug for spark by pulling a plug and holding/grounding it next to the block while someone cranks the motor. Hook up a tank of fresh 50:1 fuel/oil mix and pump up the bulb till it hardens. Crank it a couple of times while someone watches the fuel pump and carbs for leaks. Check the lower unit lube, top it off if it needs it. Put it on the muffs and secure the muffs to the leg so they won't slip off. Turn on the water and crank it over. If it won't go, hit the choke button once...until it sputters. It should then fire right up. Get too heavy on the choke and it will flood. After it starts check for water from the tell tale hole. You may not have much at first but it should be throwing some water out there. If no water, shut it down fast and check the water pump/impeller. If you get a stream of water, let it warm up a little then push the fast idle arm up to boost the revs a little. The stream should improve. Should never get so hot that you can't touch the water jackets on the sides of the cylinders. Good luck. Merc 50's are sweet outboards...hard to beat. Mine's a 73 Merc 500 and just keeps on ticking.

Bomber

Recruit

Where in Mass are you from - where are you going to run the motor. 50 Merc is a good motor should be fine it was put away nice

thanks for that advice. I tried using a barely charged trolling battery and it couldnt turn the starter so I took out the starter and tried to turn it by hand but couldnt do it so i put a ratchet on top to try and turn it and it worked so I put it back in and it still wouldnt work so im thinking it must be the battery

im right on the NH border my family is going up to newfound lake (in NH)in a few weeks and im trying to get it running by then<br /><br />I was also wondering if anyone's used an optima and if they work well

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

newboater40759 <br /><br />Shoot some WD-40 in the spark plug holes and turn it over by hand a few times before you crank it over...

mtemple

Cadet

Newfound Lake is one beautiful lake and somewhat friendlier then it large neighbor. Hope you get a chance to catch some Salmon or Trout. Although they will be down quite a bit this time a year.