Newbie needs help getting started.

bam870

Cadet
I have a 1984 25HP envirude E25RCRD that I acquired. It won't start but everything seems to turn when I push the starter button. I wasn't originally getting spark and found a broken ground wire. I fixed that and replaced the plugs. Now I have spark but it still won't turn over. I seem to be getting fuel. I did notice today that the power pack also has a broken wire and broke ground wire. So I ordered a new one. I also noticed that on the right side of the engine there are two plastic lever not attached to anything with fishing line around them. After looking at the parts manual it looks like a neutral start switch should be there, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any ideas?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Newbie needs help getting started.

With all the broken wiring I'd go through everything from the battery to the starter to the plugs,
check everything, check the coils for cracks ( remove them and turn them over in your hands to check).
The factory service book is mandatory. (not seloc)
www.outboardbooks.com

5150abf

Vice Admiral

+10 on the manual, OMC factory, not Sleoc, Clymers or anyhitng on CD they ar spendy but worth ever dime the first time you use them, they cover only your engine and nothing else where the Clymers ect have 10-15 engine over 10 years and ittle on what oyu are actually working on.

Poke around on Ebay if money is tight, you can find them there cheaper sometimes.

I would replace all the wiring before you try anything else, good chance you can fry something that isn't already with a short.

Just do one wire at a time until you have them all replaced, I have an '81 evinrude and was staring to have all kinds of problems till I rewired, also clean all your connections.

bam870

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. I will continue checking the wires and install the power pack when it arrives. I will definitely get the envirude manual. Does anybody know anything about the neutral start switch or if it is supposed to have one?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Yes it has one but most I have seen are in the throttle, yours could be on the engine though, I don't know.

jonesg

Admiral

Thanks for the advice. I will continue checking the wires and install the power pack when it arrives. I will definitely get the envirude manual. Does anybody know anything about the neutral start switch or if it is supposed to have one?

You didn't tell us whether its tiller or remote.