newbie needs advice on selecting trailer

lovlakes

Cadet
Tried to search for some threads on this item, but no luck...

Need advice on brand/type/qualities to look for in trailer for a 22 foot power boat.

Looking at a boat at a dealership, but how will I know what trailer is right...or whether any price cut on the boat gets made up for with a mediocre trailer.

Are their particular brands that are routinely trustworthy and better than others?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: newbie needs advice on selecting trailer

there are many, many brands, 99% good. galvanized is the best, next to the fully aluminum, which is very expensive. you need to know the total weight of the boat and motor, then add fuel gear, full coolers, etc. this plus the weight of the trailer, is the minimum load capacity of the trailer. also a 22 foot boat, is going to weight enough to need tandem axles with either electric or hydrolic brakes. the roller or bunk style, is determined by the type boat.

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

What kind of powerboat? (runabout, fishing, cruiser, etc)

Do you boat in salt water or fresh?

There are many different brands like shorelander, vantage, ez-load, magic tilt. It really all depends on the dealer. There are two basic types roller and bunk, rollers are easier to load and unload, I prefer bunk as I think they support a boat better but as long as it is properly adjusted a roller supports a boat just as well.

Things I would look for is galvanized contruction, tandem axles, surge brakes (drums are good discs are better), swing away tongue if you are going to put it in your garage, LED lights, bearing buddies or oil bath hubs. The list goes on, I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

lovlakes

Cadet

Thanks for the replies so far. :D

Some more info to help answer my vauge questions...

Top boat on our list right now is an azure AZ220 deckboat. We will use in fresh water lake that has several paved, gentle sloped ramps (there are some others too...but we will take the easier ones). Boat dry Wt is 4300, comes with a Merc 5.0 Bravo 3 (will have to look that up)...but, as you say, it will have to have brakes.

One local dealer stocks Eagles, another EZloaders for the Azure line of boats. Both OK? They are painted to match the boat (look pretty, but how well do they do sitting out in the weather (which is where the trailer will be in summer?)

We are also looking at a well-priced boat at out of state dealer that we would have to ship. Shipping can be done with or without a trailer. If we wait and buy trailer locally, we might do better?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the ez loader is a great trailer but pay extra for the galvanize. i've seen many painted trailers that look like crap in 4 years. the fenders rust off. we have a trailer dealer here, that his # 1 customers are the painted trailer owners, replacing their trailers.

that boat is a great combo with the 5.0 B3.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

they cost you more now, but buy with brakes!
if not, the cost for pads and rotors for the tow vehicle add up quick!

cheers
oops

lovlakes

Cadet

Thanks to all. Based on the boats we are looking at, we will end up with either galvanized Vantage trailer or powder coated Rolco, both with brakes.

I suspect most would vote for the Vantage galvanized if only picking a trailer, but if we ended up with the Rolco based on which boat we choose, would anyone object to a Rolco??