Newbie looking for I/O runabout purchasing advice

fir3hawk

Cadet
Hey all,

Been looking at a getting a boat for some time now and have a couple I am interested in looking at.

First is a 1989 Four Winns Horizon 180. Boat is priced at $3500 and has a 4.3L/OMC. The boat is currently winterized and seller claims it runs great and it appears to be in very good condition for it's age from the pictures. I would require the boat be de-winterized and test driven before purchasing. My biggest concern on this one is everyone says stay away from the OMC drive due to parts and service availability.
4OWI53r.jpg

Second is a 1986 Four Winns Freedom 160. Boat is priced at $2800 and has a 3.0L/Mericruiser. The boat is currently winterized and seller disclosed that one of the belows has a small tear in it and the shifter cable needs adjusted. He said it has a grind when shifting in gear due to the shift cable however it does go in to forward/reverse fine. Other than that he states the boat runs great. Seller claims the floor and interior is solid. I know the ski locker on these attracts moisture so I'm going to check that area really good.

BFzbRWu.jpg

Boat would be used on small inland lakes around me that are approx 5-12 square miles for general cruising and tubing along with some fishing. If I don't go with one of these boats I'm also considering 80's model Fish and Ski boats but that added passenger room of a runabout appeals to me.

I found an early 80's ProCraft V with a 90hp Mercury that looks really clean for $2800.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... OMC went outa business over 2 Decades ago,....

If ya want an I/O, buy a Merc or Volvo, with Chevy power,...

Don't buy any I/O boat with OMC drive,.....

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I'd suggest you review these tips for buying a boat: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...eeding-help-buying-a-boat-a-buyer-s-checklist.

It could save you a lot of money and aggravation.I don't know where you live, but you might call a couple of boat shops near you and find out what the cost is for a complete bellows/shift cable replacement. That job can be done as a DIY job, but it seems to be one of the trickier ones to do yourself, and might not be a good first DIY project on a new-to-you boat. I think parts and special tools alone would set you back $500-600, maybe more.

A boat that age is almost certainly going to have wood in the transom and stringers, so be sure to check out any areas where you can see those (in the motor compartment, ski locker, etc.) very carefully. An '86 could very easily have fairly advanced rot.

Good luck!

oldjeep

Admiral
If the OMC works then I wouldn't worry much about it. The picture of the boat look amazingly good for a boat that old (whichever one it is). The main issue with OMC drives is if the shift cable isn't kept in adjustment then it eats some very expensive gears. Impeller changes on an OMC are a dream compared to a Mercruiser.

airshot

Rear Admiral
If you are looking at 18 ft boats and a newbie why not consider an OB rather than an I/O? As a beginner an outboard will be much simpler to maintain than an I/O and give you more room in the passenger area. I am a big fan of an I/O but only in larger boats for the fuel economy. In smaller boats you get better performance and not much difference in fuel economy but a lot bigger passaenger area. While the OMC unit may work great now....what about future repairs when you can't get parts? In my area used outdrives and merc parts are a dime a dozen but OMC outdrives that are well used are going for 1500 just to scrape up parts. A big NO on the OMC sad to say.

mr 88

Commander
Get the biggest one you can find with a mercruiser or outboard. The 16' will get real small very quickly. 18' would be the smallest to go.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i agree 16 is too small, especially in I/O

fir3hawk

Cadet
If you are looking at 18 ft boats and a newbie why not consider an OB rather than an I/O? As a beginner an outboard will be much simpler to maintain than an I/O and give you more room in the passenger area. I am a big fan of an I/O but only in larger boats for the fuel economy. In smaller boats you get better performance and not much difference in fuel economy but a lot bigger passaenger area. While the OMC unit may work great now....what about future repairs when you can't get parts? In my area used outdrives and merc parts are a dime a dozen but OMC outdrives that are well used are going for 1500 just to scrape up parts. A big NO on the OMC sad to say.

I like the idea of an outboard as they will be easier and cheaper to maintain IMO. However, I've found it hard to find one in my price range in a bowrider. Most outboard boats I've seen are bass boats, which I'm okay with but there aren't many bass boats in my price ranger that can comfortably seat more than 3 people.

I found this one that I'm pretty interested in... And yes, I'm looking at other models than just Four Winns :lol:

'89 Four Winns Horizion 170. Boat is priced at $3500. It is currently winterized and titles are clean. Seller says it has a 305 V8 and Mercury lower unit. Floors are solid. Buyer said he will hook it up for the muffs and can show it will go into gear fine on the bank but seems resistant to a lake test drive. I feel like it's a heck of a deal for the price but I'm a bit leery to buy something without a test drive.
attachment.php
attachment.php

airshot

Rear Admiral
Boat selling season is just getting started don't be in a big hurry as it can cost you well beyond any budget you may have. NO test ride NO sale!!! Simple as that.....
You stated you were new to boats so listen to what the good folks are trying to tell you on here. Look thru the posts from last spring and see how many are looking for advise on major repairs because they bought a boat the seller said is great! If you don't know what you are looking for then hire a marine surveyor so for a couple hundred bucks he will go thru the boat with a fine tooth comb and tell you everything. Now if the seller does not want a surveyor to go thru his boat then he has something to hide....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Look outside your immediate area too. I drove 350 miles for the pontoon in my signature.

mr 88

Commander
My 16.5' worked fine for us for 7 years with 2 kids and friends sometimes. It was an I/O.

Would you or your wife and 2 kids of been happier buying the larger boat that you have now vs taking a pounding in the smaller/cramped 16.5 for 7 years. There is nothing wrong with a smaller boat but IMHO most people will enjoy a bigger boat for many reasons along with avoiding the 2 foot itis for a longer time.

thumpar

Admiral
Would you or your wife and 2 kids of been happier buying the larger boat that you have now vs taking a pounding in the smaller/cramped 16.5 for 7 years. There is nothing wrong with a smaller boat but IMHO most people will enjoy a bigger boat for many reasons along with avoiding the 2 foot itis for a longer time.
On the lakes we go it it was not bad. Of course I like my current boat better but it also cost 5 times as much and likes gas a lot.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
I was recently in the market for a bow rider as well....Of course I was on a budget as well, and everything in my budget either had an OMC or a 3.7L Merc So naturally I came on to this forum and learned very quickly to stay away from both....IMO for the age of the boats they are a little expensive although very clean looking. I ended up buying a 2001 Bayliner-Not a Fourwinns I know but 12 years newer and I ended up getting the boat for 3K with a 3.0L Merc, I just got done doing the bellows and replacing the shift cable and did a full tune up which should be done on any used boat. Like stated boats will be flooding the market very shortly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Keep your eyes open for an OB. They are simpler to maintain and give less hull/water troubles than the I/O's.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
With more boats coming on the market everyday I would look for an outboard one or go with a 18-19 ft I/O at the smallest