Newbie looking for advice on connecting trolling motor battery to motor alternat

Chachi420

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I'm a relatively new boat owner...
(If you're interested, pics of my boat are on this thread...
http://www.iboats.com/bbboard/html/...ead;fid=28;gtid=808791;gpid=808791#gpid808791 )

A friend gave me his old Minn Kota 36 lb Endura trolling motor that still works well. I just bought a huge $90 marine deep cycle battery for it and am wandering if it is possible to connect the battery to my engine alternator in some way. Also I'm not sure if my engine has an alternator, but it is a 115hp 1976 Johnson if that helps. I don't know much (if anything) about engines or boats, but this is a great forum and has already helped me out a great deal.

Thanks for any advice on this issue about charging the trolling motor via an alternator!

(now I just need to learn how and when to use a trolling motor since I'm a very novice fisherman with almost no experience) :$

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Newbie looking for advice on connecting trolling motor battery to motor alte

Re: Newbie looking for advice on connecting trolling motor battery to motor alte

Chachi, you will find that the big battery will run the trolling motor for a long time before needing charged up.
Just charge it up good and don't worry about it.
You might run into problems wiring it into the engine's charging system.

Chachi420

Seaman Apprentice

ok, thanks! I will only charge it then whenever it runs out with my wall charger (10 amp).

However, can you tell me about my motor and if it has an alternator. I'm curiious if I need to take the battery out every time and charge using my wall charger (which is what I've been doing), or if I can just let the alternator charge it up (if the engine has one). There are a total of 4 cables going into the engine...2 thick ones and 2 smaller ones...maybe the two smaller ones are for the alternator? You can actually see these cables in the photo posted in the link on the first post in this thread...it is the 2nd photo of the engine...

Thanks again!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Don't bother trying to charge from the engine unless you plan to run wide open for two hours for each hour you use the trolling motor. Yes, the alternator can charge your start battery because it doesn't get deeply discharged. Your trolling motor on the other hand does get deeply discharged. Most older outboards did not have very high output alternators so it takes forever to charge the trolling battery. If you are intent on doing this, you should install a dual battery switch or isolator. Do a search for these on the web. You'll have enough reading to keep you confused for a month. Install an on-board smart charger and be done with it. Plug it in at home and leave it connected. Your battery will not be harmed, it will last longer, and will always be ready to go when you are.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Forgot to mention that if you simply parallel the two batteries, the weaker battery will suck the life out of the better one until both are equal. Hence the need for the switch or isolator.

Chachi420

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advice...
The trolling motor works well. I was surprised how well the trolling motor worked at allowing me to work the shoreline, especially since my boat is so heavy and it's only a 36lb motor. I went out fishing with my girlfriend yesterday and tried it out. I'm not a good fisherman at all, and know very little about fishing. I had a few bites, but didn't catch anything. We only fished for about an hour though and then went swimming on a secluded beach d:)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Charge the battery immediately after each use - sitting around with less than full charge will shorten its life.

4 cables entering the engine...1 throttle, 1 shifter, probably 2 wiring bundles maybe? battery cables in one, main engine harness in the other?

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Thanks for the advice...
The trolling motor works well. I was surprised how well the trolling motor worked at allowing me to work the shoreline, especially since my boat is so heavy and it's only a 36lb motor. I went out fishing with my girlfriend yesterday and tried it out. I'm not a good fisherman at all, and know very little about fishing. I had a few bites, but didn't catch anything. We only fished for about an hour though and then went swimming on a secluded beach d:)

Sounds like maybe you did catch a little something :rolleyes::p

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

I have a PrinceCraft 14.6' boat, A minn Kota 50LB. thrust motor, lights rigged ( on all the time, just because) a hummingbird Pirannamax 80 fishfinder and a Delorme GPS through a cigg. lighter cord and a Pioneer USB23 radio hooked to a Sears Die-Hard Group 29 battery. run all day and still have 70~80% percent battery every night. This is usually after 6 to 8 hours of straight fishing. almost impossible to use the battery down to nothing IMHO. remember to get a battery tester, it should cost no more than 25 bucks for a portable one, and you will always know how much battery is left when out on the water. group 29 marine battery will give me 200 minutes of standby and i have yet to even come close. REMEMBER, never let the battery get below 50%, it will shorten the overall life .................

happy fishing :)

NYBo

Admiral

holy%20thread%20resurrection.jpg