Newbie in need of help.

jkbordi

Recruit
Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie, and I need some help. I am looking at buying a used boat. This will be my first boat. I have read some about rotten boats. What do you guys think about a 1992 Thompson Calae 1800 boat (open bow). It is from the original owner who states it has always been in a garage. It comes with 4.3L motor. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jarrod

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Newbie in need of help.

Sounds like a good one. Garage kept boats are few and far, so you may have just found yorself a gem.

jkbordi

Recruit

Thanks for your reply. Owner also states he has babied this boat, and is only selling it to purchase a new one. He is asking $6,000. It appears that Thompson Boats are no longer in production. Just wonder how well these boats were made. Wonder if the quality is better than a mid 80's Bayliner Capri?

Nandy

Commander

But... in the other hand, dont believe everything the previous owner tells you. Check and double check...

jkbordi

Recruit

What should I look for? I have read about tapping all over the boat to hear for dead sounds. Should a sea trial be required before I buy a boat?

I find this post hard to believe. Would you buy a car for 500 bucks and not drive it around the block first? But you ask should you give a stranger 6k and not ride for 5 minutes in the boat,? I do agree 100% with your post,You DO NEED HELP lol

FlyinGuy1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, do a sea trial. If you're putting up 6k of your money, it's worth it. Also, how mechanically inclined are you? I always do a check of the plugs, compressions, fluids (before and after running through a few cycles), and every electrical gadget that there's a switch for. Odds are, he'll be happy to let you do any testing/checking of the boat if it has been well cared for. If he refuses, he's probably hiding something that you'd end up finding only after the boat is yours.

If it is in premo condition, and you can get him down a few bucks it sounds like a great deal:D

jkbordi

Recruit

Thanks FlyinGuy1017 for the reply. I don't know what is so hard to believe about someone needing help?

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sea Trail for sure! It only takes 1/2 day in the rain (without draining) to ruin stringers, foam etc. Being garage kept is no guarantee. Find someone that is boat savvy and take him with you on your sea trail and inspection.
$6000.00 seems high for a '92 18' boat from an nfg that is no longer alive. go to: NADA http://www.nadaguides.com/default.a...&m=1640&y=1992&ml=T&gc=MR&gtc=MR&d=1600185547
It's listed at 2860.00 w/out toys or trailer. Don't buy to quick.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Agree that $6k sounds way high for an 18' bowrider. What brand of drive system does it have? If it's an OMC you may want to reconsider due to poor parts support since OMC is out of business. The 4.3 is good power for that size boat.

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In addition to tapping and listening for "dead sounds", look for cracks in the gelcoat on the transom. That indicates the wood inside swelling from water intrusion. Check the deck for soft spots. Especially check the deck where it connects to the transom inside. Check for any signs of softness, gel cracks, fiberglass delaminated from the wood underneath, etc.

Look at anything that was added to the transom-- kicker plates, transducers, etc. Do they look like they were inexpertly installed? Do you see tattered remnants of ordinary silicone caulk peeling off from around them? Even a garage kept boat will have a rotting transom if the water damage was from lake water.

Cthom5436

Cadet

I've owned 3 boats with the 4.3L. They were all great.

I think you need to research the value. $6,000 seems too high for a 16 year old boat. Try Ebay and Craiglist.com. You might get something newer for the same money.

Resale might be better on a more common model. I had a Maxum 20', Bayliner 18' classic, and a Sunbird. All sold fast probably because people recognized the names.