Newbie gear oil question

imnezrider

Cadet
Just bought a 1967 9.5 and haven't had it the water yet. The manual gives the procedure for draining/refilling the gearcase, but all I want to do is "top it off" in order to make sure it's full. Is there any reason I can't just add the OMC lube in the "oil level" hole until full (like a car differential)?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Newbie gear oil question

You can try, but you really need to drain the gear case to see if there is any water intrusion. Don't take out the phillips screw.
The best way to top it off is to take out the bottom slotted screw, put the pump or container nozzle in the hole and pressurize a bit, then take out the top slotted screw and pump.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there is only one way to do it right, should not need topping off. if it is low, it was either not filled last time, or it has a leak, which you need new oil.

Changing lower unit oil

There are 2 straight slot screw on the starboard side of the lower unit. Top is vent plug, bottom, drain and fill plug. ( do not touch Phillips head screw).

Remove the bottom plug, put container under lower unit, now remove the vent plug, while the oil is draining, replace the seals on the plugs part # 311598, buy several of these, ( they are a one time use item)

Walmart and many places sell a little hand pump. To use to fill the unit, you insert the tube into the bottom hole, and pump till oil reaches the vent hole. Install the vent screw, then remove hose, install the drain-fill screw, clean up mess.

The screws can be hard to get out, do not mess up the head. You may need to employ an impact screw driver to break them loose.

imnezrider

Cadet

Great responses...just what I needed to know. Do you think Walmart would also carry the OMC lube by chance?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Great responses...just what I needed to know. Do you think Walmart would also carry the OMC lube by chance?

No, but they carry a couple of other brands, including their own "Super Test" brand. Any of them will be just fine for your little 9.5hp.

krogie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i bought the pump , lube , new drain pan at walmart for a great price. the walmrat super tech lube was rated best for the money in a review i read earlier this year.