Newbie from Southern California

Jis4Jeep

Seaman Apprentice
Names Mike I just moved to a small community called Helendale between Victorville and Barstow California. I live on a 2 lake system and have been fishing for a few months here and thought it would be great to get a boat. So I got a canoe!!! :) Went on a few fishing and camping trips before I realized that I needed something a little more stable for my dog and 5 year old so i looked and looked for a Jon boat really didn't want to spend more that $1,000. Reading everyones opinions on either flat or v bottom I wanted a flat bottom but the boat I just bought this morning was a V bottom. Anyway even though I grew up on creeks and canals in central Florida I know absolutely nothing about boats. Well what I know I learned on this forum as a guest reading for the last 5 days. So I got a 1975 14 foot V bottom boat aluminum of course with a 7.5 Mercury motor and a Marine Stalker Trolling motor (Im going to get the vin# to find out what model) It also came with a Hummingbird LCR4 (I think) fish finder and trailer for $500 but after I went and bought my new battery it turns out its missing the power cable. I left a message with the guy I bought it from hopefully he has it still.

So I really didn't get a chance to dig into the boat after I got it I had to take the kids to the dentist but when I got back home I tinkered with the trolling motor and have absolutely no clue how to hook it up. There doesn't seem to be a straight positive and negative that goes into the battery. The guy told me just hook this up with this and then that blah blah blah, I just wanted to here the motor run. There is a foot pedal with a yellow and red wire along with a ground that looks like its supposed to be screwed into the bottom of the pedal but the red is disconnected. Im going to work on it some tomorrow hopefully I can figure it out and Ill post some pics. Im pretty excited but I am going to need some help. Oh and he did put the prop in a big bucket of water before he started it for me. Sounds great Ill post pics in the morning folks happy to be here.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Newbie from Southern California

Welcome aboard .... umm ... Jeep.

Jis4Jeep

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah I am a Jeep guy, heres a pic of Jeep and Canoe Ill have Boat pics tomorrow:

House.jpg

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Welcome. Keep the canoe.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nice rig you got there- I will second the keeping the canoe!

Welcome!

Jis4Jeep

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone I was thinking about an outrigger for the canoe to keep it a little more stable.

Jis4Jeep

Seaman Apprentice

OK I took some pics of the boat.

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1212.jpg

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to iboats! That's a sweet score for $500. A little elbow grease and you guys'll be fishing in no time.:)

aspeck

Staff member

What he said! ^^^^ ;)

SWWWWEEEEEEETTTTTT. Should be a lot of fun for you, the dog, and the little one!

Happy boating and tight lines!

Jis4Jeep

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks gonna get out there a little bit and clean her out and try to figure out how to hook up the trolling motor. Just got back from AAA and registered her and it was a whopping $59.00 crazy I register the Harley in Florida and it was 58 for 2 years. You gotta love this place!

Jis4Jeep

Seaman Apprentice

So I did a little cleaning to the boat and to be legal at night I installed some lights up front. Got the trolling motor running, I didn't like the battery up front so I ran some PVC along the grove and the edge of the seats and ran some positive and negative wires through to the front. I plan on going to Bass Pro this weekend and picking up a water proof fuse pannel and having switches for my lights and the trolling motor. Hers a few more pics, Ill do a full thread on the conversion sometime next week but for now I am off to the lake cross our fingers and hope I didnt get hosed out of $500 bucks!! I promise Ill start learning the correct terms like aft and stern I am an Army vet so its going to take a while for me to figure it out.

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

JRJ

Commander

Welcome to iboats! Been a really long time since I've seen Helendale. Nice heep, and have fun with the boat :cool: