Newbie few trailer issues

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Just bought a used tri-hull fiberglass boat, trailer & motor and wondering about the trailer.
I can't find anything to identify the trailer, make, ID#, nothing. Hoping my state will let me register it as I bought it out of state and they do a VIN verification.
Towing it home the boat slid forward and the transom slide below the end roller.
I would like to replace the bunks which seems to be very short compared to the hull.
There is rollers along the center of the trailer and only a few contact the keel.

So my questions:
Is there anyway to identify at least the make of the trailer?
Can I use a floor jack with wood to raise the transom with the 50hp motor on it?
Would I be better off making the bunks as long as the trailer allows?
Also, where is the best place on a tri-hull for the bunks to make contact?
I've read online that the weight of a fiberglass hull should not rest on rollers. That the rollers are just for guiding the keel up the center of the trailer. Is this true?

:unsure:

briangcc

Commander
Your best bet would be to post some pics of what you're working with. Good side and end shots.

That'll give us the best idea of what the trailer is, how a setup could be adjusted, etc.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Your best bet would be to post some pics of what you're working with. Good side and end shots.

That'll give us the best idea of what the trailer is, how a setup could be adjusted, etc.
Thanks, will work on finding my camera.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Before you spend a minute of your time or one dollar of your money working on this boat and trailer, make sure you can get them titled and registered in your state. Sometimes registering or titling boats and trailers across state lines can be very difficult, and you don’t want to be sinking any money into the boat until you are certain that you can legally register it in your state.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Before you spend a minute of your time or one dollar of your money working on this boat and trailer, make sure you can get them titled and registered in your state. Sometimes registering or titling boats and trailers across state lines can be very difficult, and you don’t want to be sinking any money into the boat until you are certain that you can legally register it in your state.
Thanks, I am waiting for our police department to come look at it. The boat does have a VIN# so that shouldn't be a problem. The trailer is in question... I do have the previous registration from Maine so don't know if that's going to help. Maybe I can convince the officer it was a homemade trailer? Yeah right LOL. But no I'm not spending any money on it yet, I haven't even cleaned it out. Now there's an inch or two of snow on it so won't be doing anything soon. :cry:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Just bought a used tri-hull fiberglass boat, trailer & motor and wondering about the trailer.
I can't find anything to identify the trailer, make, ID#, nothing. Hoping my state will let me register it as I bought it out of state and they do a VIN verification.
Towing it home the boat slid forward and the transom slide below the end roller.
I would like to replace the bunks which seems to be very short compared to the hull.
There is rollers along the center of the trailer and only a few contact the keel.

So my questions:
Is there anyway to identify at least the make of the trailer?
Can I use a floor jack with wood to raise the transom with the 50hp motor on it?
Would I be better off making the bunks as long as the trailer allows?
Also, where is the best place on a tri-hull for the bunks to make contact?
I've read online that the weight of a fiberglass hull should not rest on rollers. That the rollers are just for guiding the keel up the center of the trailer. Is this true?

:unsure:
No its not true. Back in the golden age of trailer boating the experts wrote books on how to set up a trailer. Today people don't read instruction manuals any more, plus boats come as package deals and nobody uses rollers any more (except those that pay extra for a property built trailer).

An internet search, plus the serial number, may ID the manufacturer. Fiberglassics.com may be a place to start. Post pictures and someone may already have an idea.

The boat needs to be moved aft and the winch stand repositioned. Launch the boat and that would be the easiest way. Otherwise, with the trailer on the TV, run a line from the stern eyes to a tree and gently pull it back.

Make new bunks as long as possible. Position them next to strakes to help loading. Once the hull is sitting on the bunks, raise the rollers to tightly contact the keel.

A trihull sitting on a bunk roller trailer is an "oldie". It should have been set up properly when new. I suspect that the boat and trailer are not an original combo.

apropes

Recruit
I found the VIN for my trailer hiding behind a recessed trailer light on the right hand side of the rear brace. With that I was able to register it in my state once the officer inspected it and they ran the VIN. Without a title I had to purchase a bond before they would register it. The whole process took a couple of months, but now I have the title, registration, and license plate!

So many people told me to not worry about titling the trailer, but I like to do things legal when I can. I figure it will just make it that much easier when I go to sell her.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you guys for the reply. Sorry I'm replying late, never received email notification. :eek:

Planning on having my son help remove snow from around the boat/trailer and he can crawl around with a flashlight, hopefully he can find some hidden numbers.

The trailer definitely looks much newer than the boat. The frame seems to be mostly bolted together, almost as if it was a kit or something.

I have the rest of the winter to gather info and parts/supplies to fix it up come spring (warmer weather at least).

I'll post back here if I find any more info about the trailer.

Oh yeah, hopefully if I have to get a title bond for it it's cheaper than a truck my daughter had issues with.

Thank you again!