newbie boat owner, where should i start fishing?

bawla47

Cadet
i just recently got a salt water fishing boat, and im really anxious to start angling some nice catches. Ive never fished saltwater before, so please bare with me :) The boats equipped with a gps system. I live in broward country, Ft lauderdale area. <br /><br />but anyhow, Where should i start? Any newbie tips and hints, would be apreicated. Any general hot spots you can point me to this time of the year. What kind of areas should i look for. Im game for catching any fish out there. <br /><br />Thanks in advance, i apreciate any responses!<br /><br />Jay D

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: newbie boat owner, where should i start fishing?

Hi Jay..<br /> <br />I hope your boat is equipped with a depth/fish finder.. Honestly, I don't use a depth/fish finder to find fish per say (except bait), altough marking fish over perspective areas is a plus... I use it mainly to find hard bottom like reefs, drop offs, ect... <br /><br />Anywhoo.. Bottom fishing over a reef is a good start.. Fairly simple way to catch all kinds of fish, some good, some not so good, but usually interesting.. <br /><br /> <br />Here's a list of enuff GPS #'s for artificial reefs in broward county to keep you busy for a while.. :D <br /> http://www.floridaconservation.org/marine/ar/Report_List_ROWS.asp?county=Broward <br /><br />All kinds of info here.. http://www.fish4fun.com/ and here http://www.floridasportsman.com/HowTo/ <br />And for more local action info.. http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zeromain?id=1

Fly Rod

Commander

:) UUU are lucky that UUU didn't exspearience what i went thru when i swicthed from fresh water to salt!!! My fresh water boat disentegrated when i put it in salt water!!! I guess it just wasn't meant to be!!! :p :p :p

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I know that it is nice and warm down there.Still, it is a smart idea for the new boat owners not to ask others to "bare" with him.Some people might take it literal.Just to stay safe ask them to "bear" with you.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) I remember once when i was going to maine to "Bear" hunt, Saw the sign "Bear Left", so I turned around and went home!!!! ;) :cool:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Flyrod,what would you have done if it said "bare left"??

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Well Rolmops!!<br /><br />If i were still in the military and marching and heard "bare left", i'd turn me head to the left!!! :p :p

GatorMike

Ensign

Really need more info. There are a lot of different kinds of saltwater boats. What kind of boat and how big? The good thing is in FT Lauderdale the gulfstream is like in site of the beach, you don't have to go out far to get the big ones. There are plenty of fish inshore too if you have a flats type boat you can stick to the inlets and bays.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Rolmops!! tell me what would U have done if it said "Bare" left????? ;) :cool:

vp3

Recruit

If I can be so bold as to suggest Queensland Australia. Maybe this is a larger trip than you had planed<br />Cheers Ian

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you are new to boating as you suggest, I would first take a boating safety course, find an experienced saltwater angler and let them take you out for a few trips in your boat and help you with the learning curve. "Out there" is another ball game from a day on the lake. Its great fun and you will enjoy the experience like no other after the safety issues are put to rest. Do you have any tackle yet?