NEWBE..... Please Help

tomandjen43150

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 87 Bayliner Capri and a 120 Force. Previous owner said it was running fine, shut it off for a couple of hours, and it would crank only and would not start. I replaced the battery and installed a second battery (parallel). I replaced the ignition cylinder (it had issues). Before I replaced the cylinder it would try to fire but when I let the key go it would die. I had it running today multiple times. I tried to put in gear, sometimes it stayed running and sometimes it dies. If I left it in neutral it would stay running. I
decided to launch it, it was a disaster. got away from the dock and it died.
Found a very loose starter terminal when I got home. Fuel tank was low initially, now full with the propper 50.1 mix. Does not appear that I have spark. I do not know where to start, I know nothing about 2-stroke's, carbs, marine engines and all of them combined has me scrathing my head. Any help
would be great.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: NEWBE..... Please Help

Do you have a kill switch on that model? Check there 1st.
Choke working correct? Idle throttle advance?J

tomandjen43150

Seaman Apprentice
Re: NEWBE..... Please Help

Do you have a kill switch on that model? Check there 1st.
Choke working correct? Idle throttle advance?J

Yes it has a kill switch, it is fine. All is working fine now. Owner before me had the tumbler in the ign cyl fall and was using a safety pin with the key. I replaced the ign lock cyl. The starter was acting as if the battery was bad. Not knowing the history of the battery I replaced it and added a secondary battery. Starter was still acting up. Ordered and replaced the starter. I work at an auto shop and had a guy look at the old starter. It was fried. Installed starter last night. Man, what a difference. All I need to do now is reset the idle, very low - the throttle plate is just a hair too much closed, and should have her in the water tommorow.