NEWB questions RE: 1988 bayliner cobra

dao

Cadet
I am a former boat owner who is looking to get back in with a smaller rig (17-20 foot). Back in the day, it was a 30ft twin mercruiser, however it needed big water, something rare in Northwest NJ. We have many small lakes and reservoirs, but they have 9.9HP limits, so being able to attach or already have a kicker is critical. 6 persons would be a minimum for capacity. Speed is not of the essence.

I spotted a 1988 bayliner cobra. The motor has been maintained.

right side under...
688.jpg

left side transom
692.jpg

trailer rust...
705.jpg

underside
707.jpg

There are a few small tears in the upholstery, fading of the top paint and scratches... nothing of major import....but the transom's ability to hold a 9.9 and mounting becomes a question, as well as the reliability of the late 80's bayliner

I understand that it can cost another 1000 or more for a used 9.9 and mounting. 5000 is my rough budget for getting this boat.

Thank you emoney and any one else who can offer me advice.

David from Hunterdon county.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: NEWB questions RE: 1988 bayliner cobra

If you have $5000, you can do much better then that thing... Especially if you're willing to wait a little while until fall when people start unloading their boats.

What outboard is hanging on that boat now? Force?

dao

Cadet

Suggestions for quality boats names in this size would also be appreciated.

This is a family boat, fiberglass would be preferred.... Heck, maybe even a pontoon.

tia,
david

dao

Cadet

If you have $5000, you can do much better then that thing... Especially if you're willing to wait a little while until fall when people start unloading their boats.

What outboard is hanging on that boat now? Force?

Yes, the force 125. A two stroke, if I am not mistaken.

Pricing can be relative to location. No question, even here in NJ, they vary wildly. Especially with people having to dump their yachts and speedboats.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pricing can be relative to location. No question, even here in NJ, they vary wildly. Especially with people having to dump their yachts and speedboats.

You're not kidding... I took a look at the North Jersey craigslist boat listings, and it is all overpriced junk in your price range, mostly bayliner capri's and sometimes strangely modified ones at that:

5Ld5Gb5H33E33m43Hcc6qce9b8399f4b214b0.jpg

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/boa/3102216370.html

Anyway, you may be taking a drive to find a nice boat, my friend. Suggest you use searchtempest or the like to look at aluminum bowriders; about a million of them made in your desired size range (starcraft's). I'm not sure why you prefer fiberglass, especially when you're looking at using it with a 9.9 kicker extensively.. Nothing wrong with fiberglass, but when you're buying "old" and "cheap", aluminum usually works out better.

dao

Cadet

I typically check central nj craigslist. NE Pennsylvania is not out of the question for searches. I am 15 minutes from the Delaware river, about 50 minutes from Lake Hopatcong, route 78 can get me to the bay in roughly an hour..... so the bigger motor will be used

Fiberglass.... more for the missus, smoother lines, typically nicer seating areas.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I think that first pic with the severely damaged hull says enough. Bummer because back in the day those Cobras were about the coolest thing on the water around here.