New Y pipe

Jrato14

Seaman
the marina said I have a leak in my exhaust horn.. I assume that is the Y pipe. The engine obviously has to come out. Any idea of a price tag associated with that. It is a Volvo 5.0 gxi twin. Engine is pretty accessible.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
remove drive approx 1 hour
prep engine for removal avg 2 hours
Y pipe 2-4 hours depending on any seized bolts
reinstall engine and hook up avg 3 hours
install drive 1 hour, test run , return to service

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would look back their yourself and make sure its not the rubber exhaust hose and clamp.

Having twins makes this a larger boat. is this a trailered boat or a moored boat? does the 10K include haul-out?

Jrato14

Seaman
So it is already out I had it towed there they put it in briefly while on the lift to track down the leak which is inside the transom assembly

Attachments

• 2ce25d2c0d6a9cec4b64eb0f2db5c7cd.MP4
    13.7 MB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
based on how bad those lines look, I would be pulling the motors
1718824076007.png
the leak could be from anywhere based on the poor video. including a bad bellows

Jrato14

Seaman
Alright so my saga continues. The mechanic pulled the engines replaced the y pipe put it back in the water it still leaks. I was very clear that it was leaking from the very top of the transom assembly above the raw water inlet previous to replacing the y pipe. They were sure it was the y pipe and from the way the water was running down I can see y but that was incorrect. Now they are saying the engine has to come back out and it is leaking at the steering seal. Am I unreasonable to say I shouldn’t pay for the engine coming in and out twice? From what I can tell the y pipe connects at the very bottom of the transom which would be completely the opposite of where I told them and showed videos of it leaking?

Scott06

Admiral
Alright so my saga continues. The mechanic pulled the engines replaced the y pipe put it back in the water it still leaks. I was very clear that it was leaking from the very top of the transom assembly above the raw water inlet previous to replacing the y pipe. They were sure it was the y pipe and from the way the water was running down I can see y but that was incorrect. Now they are saying the engine has to come back out and it is leaking at the steering seal. Am I unreasonable to say I shouldn’t pay for the engine coming in and out twice? From what I can tell the y pipe connects at the very bottom of the transom which would be completely the opposite of where I told them and showed videos of it leaking?
Absolutely you are right in saying that. Tell them out of the two invoices pick one for you to pay...They should know that too and not expect you to pay twice for engine removal. and yes water doesnt leak uphill.