New way to load!

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
I finally got the boat out last night for a little bit. Took my kids ages 1, 3, 5 out for their first boat ride. Was great! My 5 year old was yelling faster daddy. Had a great time. As I was cruising along I saw a couple with troubles. As I turned to go help them, I smelled burning oil. A quick check told me the valve cover gasket had squished out and oil was running out the side. I turned and headed for the dock trailing a white cloud of burnt oil behind me. When I got to the ramp I saw a crowd of people and a line of about 6 boats waiting to load. Usually not a problem, but I was sitting in a cloud of smoke. I could hear over the noise of all of the boats people saying I was on fire. The line of boats moved and gave me the dock, ramp and almost the whole lake. I knew I was in no serious trouble, so I was trying to wave people into the ramp that had been waiting ahead of me. <br />So, next time you are in a hurry to load and get off the water, pour a little oil on your manifold as you approach the dock. <br />My friend was out with his boat so he pulled the other couple in and I helped them load after they helped me get loaded. People are so nice sometimes.<br />Got the leak fixed, now I just have to get the oil cleaned out of my bilge.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New way to load!

Sounds like quite a site and overall a sucesfull night...hope the next run goes better.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Maybe a good application for manual oil injectors - right over the exhaust manifold. Flick a switch as you approach the ramp, then have it to yourself.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Now that's some helpful advice. Thanks!

Homerr

Commander

Actually... if you really wanted to make a scene, get yourself one of those military smoke bombs, or make one yourself (many plans on the net)<br /><br />Light one of those off, and you'll definitely look like you're on fire!<br /><br /> :) <br /><br />H.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

So what happened to the couple with troubles out on the water? Chief ;)

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

The other couple was pulled in behind me. We had an intense conversation. It went like this, (him) what was your problem, electrical or fuel? (me) oil. (him) oh. (me) yours? (him) fuel (me) oh. He helped me load, I helped him load and we both left. Very nice guy I thought.<br />They were towed in right behind me so it worked out well. They didn't get first shot at the ramp though. I only lost about 2 quarts so engine should still be good. never lost pressure.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I like the fake a "burning boat" idea to the dock to get everybody out of the way...maybe we could come up with "Severe Smoke in a Can" for those busy docking times. Chief :D

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Chief 101:<br />maybe we could come up with "Severe Smoke in a Can" for those busy docking times. Chief :D
Now we're talking. Great idea! Where do I buy some?<br />bassy