New user greetings, Force 50 assist please

stevek

Cadet
Hi all,
I am new to this forum, so greets to all. My name is Steve, I have a '73 Bass King 16' boat with a Force 50 and '66 Evinrude 5 hp kicker. I boat primarily to fish for kokanee, but have been known to plug for bigmouth bass. Learned to sail when I was young, and hope one day to retire to a cabin type sailboat. 'Nuff said 'bout that.

Here's my question/dillema: my Force 50 doesn't have the serial/model tag on the transom mount. It was there at one time (I can see the spot where it was) but not since I got it. There are what appear to be date stamps on the ignition coils (11-85) and carburetor (a circle with 86 in the center, as well as a series of numbers with a 3/86). My guess is that the motor was built in 1986 or some time after. Everything appears to be original equipment. The motor has a pull-start pulley on the flywheel, but is electric start.

The motor runs well at higher rpms, but sputters and stalls occaisionally at idle/low rpm. I have inspected the spark plugs, and the top plug shows carbon evidence of firing. The lower cylinder plug is clean, as in brand new, with zero evidence of firing at all. I am going to pull the plugs and have mama turn the key for the starter to see if the lower plug has spark. No biggie.

Questions:
1. Are there any hidden engine identifiers stamped elsewhere that might provide model/serial number?

2. Are the ignition/coil/spark plug wires a specific marine type or grade, or may they be replaced with regular automotive type spark plug wires?

The person I traded with to obtain the boat and motors is of little help. All he can tell me is it's a 50 hp Chrysler.

Thanks in advance, and happy boating to all.

stevek

imported_LakeRunner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New user greetings, Force 50 assist please

A big Welcome to iBoats! Being a 2 stroke you should see some amount of carbon or brown on the plugs, I would be more concerned with the one that is clean. You may find the serial number on the powerhead just below the carb. It should start with a 507F6A or 507FC6A or 507X6A. Check this thread for part numbers http://www.mercruiserparts.com//selectSerailRange.asp?doc_nbr=50+H.P.+(1986). You should stay with the marine grade plug wires but the plugs are available at any Walmart. NGK seems to work best on my Force. I get them at $3 a piece at Advanced Auto. You may also want to pick up a can of Seafoam/Deep Creep to clean the carbon out. See decarb procedures in the FAQs thread.

stevek

Cadet
Re: New user greetings, Force 50 assist please

LakeRunner said:
A big Welcome to iBoats! Being a 2 stroke you should see some amount of carbon or brown on the plugs, I would be more concerned with the one that is clean. You may find the serial number on the powerhead just below the carb. It should start with a 507F6A or 507FC6A or 507X6A. Check this thread for part numbers http://www.mercruiserparts.com//selectSerailRange.asp?doc_nbr=50+H.P.+(1986). You should stay with the marine grade plug wires but the plugs are available at any Walmart. NGK seems to work best on my Force. I get them at $3 a piece at Advanced Auto. You may also want to pick up a can of Seafoam/Deep Creep to clean the carbon out. See decarb procedures in the FAQs thread.

Thanks for the reply, LakeRunner...
I have removed the carb but can find no id numbers. There is, under the carb/housing, a device which appears to be an anode of some kind that attaches to the front choke linkage... has a green wire attached to it's housing, slides in and out like a piston of some kind. (Forgive my ignorance of outboard motors... I know a little about internal combustion engines in general, but little about outboards). This device is attached by two 7/16 slotted bolts, and could easily be removed. Should I dig deeper?

I will wait to replace the coil/ignition wires, as I have verified spark to both cylinders. The coils have cracks that I have seen referred to in another thread... the guy said he epoxied them and they're now fine. I might try this as well. Right now I am considering removing the coils just to clean and inspect.

Thanks again for your help.

stevek