New Used Cruiser Purchase

travbl

Seaman
Hi everyone, I am looking to step up from a 20' bowrider to a 26-28' cruiser to keep in the Northern Chesapeake. This will be my second boat purchase and I am looking to spend anywhere from 25K-40K. I would rather stay on the lower end of the range. I am looking for a single engine. What would you suggest vs not suggest? How far back in years? What manufacturer? What should I look for? Any help, tips, or suggestions would be very appreciated.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: New Used Cruiser Purchase

I'm sure you will get lots of responses on what to look for and brands to look at. In my opinion, more important than any of that is to budget for a full marine survey for each boat you are serious about. You are looking at dropping a pretty chunk of change on a nice used boat. Hard as it may be, it's well worth spending the extra to get the survey done.

travbl

Seaman

What does a survey usually cost and where do you find someone to do it that isn't on the payroll of the marina?

For the price range you're looking for and your single engine requirement, make sure you buy no less than a 7.4MPI engine with a Bravo III. Cruisers in that size range are azz heavy and need ample power to get them up on water, especially when you factor in load, fuel, water, coolers, and all of the stuff your wife will store on the boat.

travbl

Seaman

Is it worth then going to dual engines, everyone I have talked to has warned me against them. They said the maintainence cost is outrageous with twin engines?

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

single vs. twin engine?

I have twin engines in my bowrider (yamaha SX230) and feel an extra sense of security by having redundancy. If I ever move into a larger boat on larger water, I would definitely go twin engine for the same reason.

Sure, maintenance may be more - two oil changes vs one - but in the long run, is it really that much?

just weigh the pros and cons.

For the price range you're looking in, you'll easily be able to find the power package I mentioned above. I just bought my current boat and it has twins. I'm pretty certain that it will cost me double for oil changes, tune ups, and winterizing. This year, I'm going to take that stuff on my self to help offset the addtional engine and outdrive.

travbl

Seaman

Is there anything specific on the boat that I will want that I might not know now not having one? I know I made that mistake with my first boat, once I got it and saw what others had on theirs I was jealous and wishing I had certain things.

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I made a similar jump last year and also boat on the Chesapeake though I am just north of Annapolis. I went from a 25' bowrider to a 29' cruiser (see sig.). I would never go back to a single unless it had a bow thruster. Docking the beast is SO much easier. Yes, it is more expensive to an extent. However, in that size range you are probably looking at a 454 or 496 single vs. twin 4.3s, or 305/350s. If it all goes south you may find the 305 or 350 cheaper to replace in pairs than a single big block.

Things you may want:

anchor windlass - wish I had one
gps/sounder/radar - radar is a bit much for the bay, but weather can move in pretty quick
trailer - allows for cheaper storage and opens up some maintenance options
full enclosure in good shape - this is expensive to replace, so look for one that hasn't been abused.
usable engine room - if you can't get to things easily it will be more expensive to get fixed when something goes wrong.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding a nice boat in that size/price range.

I'm partial to Cobalts - this is my second. Check out Fairwinds in Middle River. Cobalt makes some nice 26-28' cruisers and there are a number of them on the bay.

travbl

Seaman

Thanks. The more I think about it it does make sense to go with twin engines. I keep looking at bigger cruisers like Silvertons, they are older but the price seems resonable I am just not sure how old is to old. I guess this is where the survey would come into play. I also like the 26ft searays. Who knows not looking to kill the bank I know that. The wife would not be happy.

Don't go 26. I made that mistake only keeping my 26 1 1/2 seasons. You'll quickly thirst for a wider beam. You should easily find one in your budget.

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm partial to Cobalts - this is my second. Check out Fairwinds in Middle River. Cobalt makes some nice 26-28' cruisers and there are a number of them on the bay.

Sorry, Tradewinds, not Fairwinds.

travbl

Seaman

Haha no problem, yea I was trying to find it and it wasn't showing up.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Come up to CT and buy mine for half of your low asking price. :D run her, and then repower with brand new fuel injected motors, if/when these go... and still be ahead of the game.

:D :D

With that said, lol, I agree, a 26' sounds good, but a narrow beam boat you will regret. If your not trailering, stick to something 10'+ wide. The width ads more than the length of a boat. Also you can find single engine boats, and they will perform alright (a forum members friend has a 28' Rinker with a single big block and it will push 50 mph), but around the docks they are tougher, and like stated before, trouble at sea and you have no chance to get back. Less maintenance is definately true though and worth weighing when choosing a boat.

In the end, get out there and start going on boats. Find a broker with a few you like and climb aboard. It will give you a great starting point for likes and dislikes.