New Upper Exhaust Tube Gasket Leaking

whitefish1

Cadet
When I replaced the exhaust shutter on my '93 Mercruiser 3.0, I removed the upper exhaust tube. I cleaned up the surfaces on the manifold and the tube down to metal (mostly) and put on a new Merc gasket. I reinstalled the upper exhaust tube and torqued to 25 ft/lbs. I started the engine up and I got a small leak at this gasket (more of a weep than an actual leak). I would say its about a teaspoon every couple of minutes at idle. Should I pull and add a small amount of gasket sealer, or will this seal over time?

As an aside, the other thing I noticed is that the new (and old) gasket partially covered the water jacket galleries on both sides of the manifold/upper exhaust tube union. Is this right? Seems weird to me. :confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: New Upper Exhaust Tube Gasket Leaking

What was the condition of the gasket surfaces of the manifold and exhaust elbow (Not tube)? You shouldn't have any leaks at all.

whitefish1

Cadet

Hi Don - sorry when I said "tube" I meant the upper exhaust elbow.

I cleaned off the old gasket material from both mating surfaces - I used a razor blade being careful not to gaul the metal. The mating surfaces looked fine - nothing warped or rusted.

The only thing I can think of is a piece of foreign material got in between when I put the gasket on.

whitefish1

Cadet

I torqued down the exhaust elbow bolts a wee bit more - problem solved.