new trailer tires

osly007

Cadet
I am about to buy 4 new tires what can i put on them to prevent dry rot thanks

93evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: new trailer tires

I do not know of anything to prevent them from drying out although something may exist.<br />To help make them last longer I would recommend getting the tires off the ground during any extended period when your trailer is not in use.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Esly<br />I reccomend Radial tires. Tow much easier and turn better also. People use armorol but I don not know if it helps. One thing that will help is to cover tires when parked to block sun from hitting them.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

This topic was up some time ago. Read this post about Correct Tires <br /><br />Only want to add, that for extended storing your tires will be much better of if you jack the trailer and put it on stands to take the load off the wheels. Put some extra pressure in the tires (this way you'll reduce it after storage instead of having to inflate tires that have been sitting for a while). Keeping sunlight away is important (as from anything else except bikinis :cool: )

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

The best thing to prevent dry rot is to use RV tire covers to shield the rubber from the sun during the boating season and to remove the wheels and store them inside for storage during the winter ( that's if you have winter lol ).<br /><br />If you are buying tires for a trailer - DO NOT use a car or truck tire instead of a trailer tire. Yes they are built differently. <br />AS for Goodyear Marathons, I have them on my boat trailer and travel trailer.<br /><br />Also, if you spray your car/truck/bike tires to keep them shiny and protected from the sun - Do the same for the trailer tires. <br /><br />Mike.