New Trailer - Bearing Problems Already??

Jersey Jim

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a brand new EZ Load trailer with a 17 foot boat in my garage. I jacked it up in the autumn so there wouldn't be pressure on the tires while the boat isn't used. Today while walking by the tire I accidently hit it with my knee and it (the tire) gave a little. I then bent over and with my hands at 3 and 9 o'clock shook the tire. It moved about 1/4 inch in each direction. I removed the tire and wheel and the brake drum moves the same. I can't get to the other side because of a tight fit in the garage. Do I have problems right out of the box? :confused:

FlyBoyMark

Ensign
Re: New Trailer - Bearing Problems Already??

yeppa..the crown nut that holds the hub on is loose...and if its that loose you will probably have bearing damage in addition to the seal too. Take it back to the dealer. Improperly prep trailer before delivery.....

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Jersey Jim<br />It should have some play, these bearings are adjusted finger tight then backed off to first notch. To make sure pull hub and check both Bearings. While you have it off check back seal and pack bearings. Good Idea to install bearings buddies.

BassMan283

Petty Officer 1st Class

Might be OK, but I'd definitely take it to the dealer and have them verify. 1/4" each way seems excessive.

Jersey Jim

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to all who responded. I popped the bearing buddy off and found the spindle nut to be 3 or 4 tuirns loose. it appears there is no damage to the bearings but I will watch. :)

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spin the tire while still on the jack. It should be a smooth quiet rotation. New bearings won't physically show damage unless it's really bad but it will chatter lightly.<br /><br />It would not hurt to call the trailer dealer just to be on the safe side. This way he can put to rest any fears you have or address the problem right away with a warranty inspection.<br /><br />Mike.