New toon owner and new to the forum.

firecpt12c

Cadet
Hello, I'm new to the forum and find this site very helpful, thanks to all who have input.
I just bought a 1987 20ft bass buggy with a 70hp Merc. Everything has checked out and I'm excited for spring.
I will be replacing the deck, carpet and furniture and moving the console to an off set.
I ordered the Wise furniture package with the standard console. My question is how difficult is it to transfer the instruments and controls to the new console, are the instructions clear? Shall I use the metel plate from the old console and cut to fit, will that be sturdy enough?
I will lable the wires and such, just looking for input.
Thanks Monte

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: New toon owner and new to the forum.

There will be NO inistructions for moving the gauges from the old to the new console. The new console may or may not need a plate for the gauges. If there are no holes for them, then you will need a hole saw to cut the new holes. When you remove the old gauges you should take pictures of the wiring. If your current console does not have a fuse panel I suggest you add one. A six or eight circuit panel would be sufficient.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Mark everything before you move it with a masking tape flag and a Sharpie with switch and wire location, i.e. TACH-TOP LEFT that way you stand a pretty good chance of getting everything hooked back up right.

Wioht the dash you are starting from scratch so you can do whatever you want, when I redid mine I made up some templates and set everything on the dash panel to make sure it was how I wanted it starting with the steering wheel, that way you will know if it is going to block anything.

firecpt12c

Cadet

The templates seem like a good idea, did you use cardboard?
Also, I'm looking a the furniture set on Iboats, is there a promotion code for members of the forum and a savings?
Monte

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Yup, cardboard cut out with a masking tape loop on the back so you can try several layouts.

With the iboats discount I think if you are logged in it jsut gives it to you , i can't say as I ave ever noticed and I have gotten several things from he store, I now the prices are really good.

One thing for sure is to make sure the steering wheel is on first so you will know what gauges it blocks.

firecpt12c

Cadet

Thanks for the information, I'll post pics soon.