New to working on outdrives, A Few Questions.

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I apologize if this has been asked too many times.

I'm a newbie to working on inboard/outboard systems and this is my first I/O. However, I've rebuilt ATV engines, lawnmowers, outboards, and done alot of work on vehicles.

I have a 1988 Rinker Fiesta Vee 250 and i've been looking at the outdrive belows (they seem to look ok) but my water hose (I'm pretty sure) seems to have some minor cracking. I know that this isn't good. I Called my local Marine dealer for servicing my alpha one (first gen) to replace this water hose and possibly the belows (can anyone tell me how many total there are?). Anyways, they told me in worst case scenario (replacing all of the belows/hoses) probably just short of 900.00 with taxes, this strikes me as outrageous for something that seems rather easy to do.

Now, I am willing to do the work myself, I just do not know how the outdrive comes off exactly. I would definately purchase a manual if I did the work.

How LONG approx. does it take for a typical guy to remove the outdrive, and is there any very specific parts to look for when removing the drive that may be unseen?

I understand that you remove approx. 6 bolts and you slide it out. Someone mentioned shims and I have no clue where these would be. Are there any?

I'm sorry if this annoys anyone, but I'm new to this stuff, I've gotta start somewhere and I want to take every precaution possible because in the past the manuals have neglected to mention small but important steps.

How are the shift cables released? I see only 2 "belows" or, "boots" as I call them. Is there more than 2? The way I picture it is one for the driveshaft, and a second for shift cables, etc.

Also, can anyone tell me what is involved in possibly doing my impeller? I wouldn't mind replacing it if I knew it was almost cooked. As well, the universal joints.

I now realize how nice, but much more maintenance and attention oriented these I/O systems are than the conventional outboards.

Anyways, that's all I can think of for now. Thank you for any information you can provide and I appreciate any help you can provide.

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New to working on outdrives, A Few Questions.

Thanks, ill check it out

ringmaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New to working on outdrives, A Few Questions.

that link above is an excelent site ive delt with they guy alot also have met him in person he is a good guy removing the out drive is farely easy better if you have help cause it gets heavy fast.