New to the Starmada, MBS and I have some Questions and PICS

GameOnSalmon

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Everyone, Thanks to this starcraft family, i have bought 3 boats in the last 3 weeks... MBS at its finest i guess.

The first one was a modified 76' Starchief, Paid 2k, Put $800 in and sold for 3k... Deciding i really wanted a Holiday. So here is the SCOOP.

Found the 18' 77 Holiday in Lake Tahoe, NV, Just a short drive, 560 miles each way to grab it. Negotiated from $800 down to $400 and went to grab it. Ended up knocking off another $80 so final price was $320 some good Bottom Feeding plus another $240 for gas so into this one for $560. Included new vinyl, new carpet, new transome board already finished but not installed, gasket kits for the mercrusier 120 and lots of extras.

I have now installed the New transom, buffed out paint, doing the topside for paint tonight and plan on selling it this week with a staring price of $1700 as a finish restorer boat. Plus very nice Tennesse trailer with New Tires. Since i really had my mind set on a 22' Holiday just a week later.. The Monster Jumped up in Wyoming and here is what happend...

I noticed the 22' HOliday had been on craigslist for $2500 with a cracked block for over a month...keep in mind this boat is almost 750 miles from idaho..but I HAVE MBS so i call anyway. After talking to the owner for 20 mins i learn it was his dads boat, stored indoors for its entire life, and owner claims boat is in immaculate condition, but he has priced motors out at """COUGH COUGH"""" $4000 installed and cant afford it.. So i used this as a bargaining chip. I offered $1,000 for the beast, only if it was imaculate like stated otherwise i would only pay $600 which he agree.

I leave for Wyoming within 30 mins of hanging up the phone and pick up the 22' Holiday, When i lift up the boat cover i almost fall over, as stated the boat was meticulous and immacualte, check transom, bone dry, hard as a rock, floors extremely solid, original interior and carpet perfect, boat cover nice, Huge Bimini top, Excellent condition, Dash and Gages Mint condtion, Outdrive had new bellows and gimbal installed weeks before block crack. I instantly hand him the $1000 and cant do it fast enough. Tow her home with the expedition at 12mpg URGGGGG...

Now, here is my dilemma, It has a 165 mercrusier in it, i have located a donor boat with the exact engine that runs great for $700, Figure i can break even on this one.... My question is, Would i get a lot better fuel economy out of a 120 vs the 165 and i am not a speed demon so 32mph is plenty... What are your thoughts gentlemen?

How long will an engine swap take? I am no mechanic but took the motor out of the 18' holiday without issue.
What other things should i look at during the swap? And i found a guy willing to do the swap for me for $300 so dont know if thats a good price or not. What should a newbie Starmada Member do?
How fast will the 22' HOLIDAY run out with a 120? How about the 165?

I want to personally thank all the active members in here who contribute so much information and help, i have personally used this forum as my Starcraft Bible... Now here is some pics coming...

PICTURES

Thanks Robert

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Re: New to the Starmada, MBS and I have some Questions and PICS

Welcome aboard GameOn! Between all of this rebuilding and selling, are ya getting to use the boats as well?

GameOnSalmon

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome aboard GameOn! Between all of this rebuilding and selling, are ya getting to use the boats as well?

Thanks Chieftan, I was able to put the Starchief in for a 1/2 day when i finished the upgrades. Was really thinking i would get 3700 out of her. But i can live with 3k. The 18' Holiday is motorless at this point, i dont want to take the time to put it back in. So hoping to get $1500 for it. The 22' Holiday will be my personal boat since its so perfect... Just need to do the engine swap but tough deciding to do a 165 or a 120 merc.

Either way, I am sure i will find another to restore over the winter for sure.

Here were the pictures in case you missed em... BIG PICTURES HERE

Regards,
Robert

TundraRocks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome. I have not run the I/O's, so I can't help you regarding the best engine size in the motor swap. That 22 footer is very clean indeed. I see you have also found we are very limited in the Starcraft market around here.

dozerII

Admiral

I run an 18 SS with the 120 and IMHO I think the Holiday would be a bit of a dog with a 120, depending on the type of boating you want to do. My SS cruises well at 24mph and is good on gas, with four people in it and pulling a 1 man tube it works real hard. I think you would be better off with the 165, plus the outdrive will have to be changed if you go to the 120 as they use a different gear ratio than the 6.
Glen

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Buy some, sell some, build some, yah some guys do that sort of thing around here...:rolleyes:

Welcome:)

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Your going to want more than 120 horses in that boat.

barato2

Commander

why hasn't anyone mentioned alternative 3: find a donor with newer 4 banger, where the displacement is 3.0 liters instead of 2.5 and rated hosspower is 140+ ?????? block will likely weigh about 100lbs less than the six, which might help make up some of the 25 hp difference. i think the really modern ones with port EFI are rated at even more than that, but those will be out of bottom feeder $ league.
and this way, you'll get the correct geared outdrive as well.
you'll get adequate top end with the four. the only Q is whether you need the out-of-the-hole launch grunt of the six's torque.

GameOnSalmon

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome. I have not run the I/O's, so I can't help you regarding the best engine size in the motor swap. That 22 footer is very clean indeed. I see you have also found we are very limited in the Starcraft market around here.
Tundra, Have seen some of your posts sir, and your right down the street less than 10 miles, S.E. Boise here. I could not agree more, those Easterners have it easy, theres starcrafts laying around all over, lucky for me i dont live close to em. All 3 boats i have bought in the last 4 weeks have been 500 to 780 miles plus. If i can do anything to assist you in any way or you want to get together give me a shout...
Robert

I run an 18 SS with the 120 and IMHO I think the Holiday would be a bit of a dog with a 120, depending on the type of boating you want to do. My SS cruises well at 24mph and is good on gas, with four people in it and pulling a 1 man tube it works real hard. I think you would be better off with the 165, plus the outdrive will have to be changed if you go to the 120 as they use a different gear ratio than the 6.
Glen

Glen,
Thanks for the reply, It appears i need the 3.0 4 banger or a 165, i have located a donor Glasser for $700 with a great running 165, just wasnt sure how much fuel consumption that 165 will eat up. I do a lot of running and 30 miles one way happens a lot. Thanks for taking the time to reply I appreciate it.
Robert

Buy some, sell some, build some, yah some guys do that sort of thing around here...:rolleyes:

Welcome:)

Jason,
LMFAO, It's partially your fault Dude i have bought 3 boats in 4 weeks. I ready through a bunch of your threads for hours on end, great job by the way, and was like... Dam I can do that, and was in instant shopping mode. Now 4 weeks later i have 3 Starcrafts and soon a Donor boat 2day or 2morrow in my driveway... I look like the local marine dealer in my Neighborhood. Thanks for all the great posts you put up, has helped here a ton. AND YES... Your Definately somewhat responsible for my MBS.. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Robert

Your going to want more than 120 horses in that boat.
DJ, thanks for the input my friend.. that appears to be the consenus. I appreciate your input.. Thank You
Robert

why hasn't anyone mentioned alternative 3: find a donor with newer 4 banger, where the displacement is 3.0 liters instead of 2.5 and rated hosspower is 140+ ?????? block will likely weigh about 100lbs less than the six, which might help make up some of the 25 hp difference. i think the really modern ones with port EFI are rated at even more than that, but those will be out of bottom feeder $ league.
and this way, you'll get the correct geared outdrive as well.
you'll get adequate top end with the four. the only Q is whether you need the out-of-the-hole launch grunt of the six's torque.

Bruce,
Now that might be an Idea my friend... I texted you my #, Give me a ring tonight at some point if possible please. I gotta a couple of questions on the 3.0 4 banger option... Thanks for all your input i really appreciate it. Look forward to talking...
Regards,
Robert

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

and was like... Dam I can do that, and was in instant shopping mode.

This was exactly how I came to this site and now have a major MBS problem too^^^^^!:eek::D

Cool man:cool::)

barato2

Commander

MBS is a problem?

Robert, didn't get back down to the flatland til after midnight last night and made the executive decision not to call or text you at 1245. give me a call tonight.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Looking at the two Holidays side by side -

With all that hull area in the big girl I don't think a 120 is enough power to push water efficiently or economically. The munchkin on the right is fine with 120 hp. A 3.0 149 night be OK in the 22 footer, but in my opinion would be better off with the 165.

Those old straight sixes are good motors, very economical and almost bullet proof as long as they are taken care of. I see 165's on CL all the time for $3-500, depending on the time of year. You could get a truck motor and swap all the parts over along with the marine head gasket and core plugs. Just tossing ideas.

That is one good looking 22 ft. Holiday.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi GameOn, I have a 21' Holiday with a 120 4-banger. The nameplate says 21', but it measures closer to 22', probably the same hull as yours. I don't have a way to compare my boat with those of higher HP, but I'm pleased with its performance. I don't have any speedometer or GPS speeds to compare for you. All I can say is that I don't think it's a dog. It's not a drag racer, but for family skiing and tubing, it's been quite adequate. I wouldn't trade for a larger engine. Fuel economy is real important these days. I'll bet there's a lot of big engines out there that never leave the dock or trailer cuz the 99% can't afford to feed them. - Grandad

GameOnSalmon

Seaman Apprentice

Looking at the two Holidays side by side -

With all that hull area in the big girl I don't think a 120 is enough power to push water efficiently or economically. The munchkin on the right is fine with 120 hp. A 3.0 149 night be OK in the 22 footer, but in my opinion would be better off with the 165.

Those old straight sixes are good motors, very economical and almost bullet proof as long as they are taken care of. I see 165's on CL all the time for $3-500, depending on the time of year. You could get a truck motor and swap all the parts over along with the marine head gasket and core plugs. Just tossing ideas.

That is one good looking 22 ft. Holiday.
GA,
Thank you for the compliments, i am pretty proud of that 22 Footer, by far the cleanest boat i have seen, has spent its entire life under cover and in a garage, I agree, Just walked in from picking up the Donor Glasser about 10 mins ago. Quick drive 140 miles each way, 73 Reinell with 165 merc, Fish Finder, Magellan GPS, Marine Radio... and WOOT WOOT a lowrance, not to mention the motor fired right up... All for the sweet price of $450 Bottom Dweller style. Thanks for the Input... I decided to go with the 165... Will up date the donor pics 2morrow.
Thanks

Hi GameOn, I have a 21' Holiday with a 120 4-banger. The nameplate says 21', but it measures closer to 22', probably the same hull as yours. I don't have a way to compare my boat with those of higher HP, but I'm pleased with its performance. I don't have any speedometer or GPS speeds to compare for you. All I can say is that I don't think it's a dog. It's not a drag racer, but for family skiing and tubing, it's been quite adequate. I wouldn't trade for a larger engine. Fuel economy is real important these days. I'll bet there's a lot of big engines out there that never leave the dock or trailer cuz the 99% can't afford to feed them. - Grandad

Grandad,
Thank you for taking the time to give me some input, I was strongly considering the 120 cuz i could get one good condition for $250 then up popped the DONOR Boat tonight on CL for $1000 and was able to get them down to $450 and did a quick Roadtrip tonight to grab it... Now to figure out what I want to pull from the cracked block motor that was so clean, and place on this one... Either way, The engine swap will be done by friday and onto the water with the 22' for the first time... I am excited, thanks for the input i appreciate it...
Regards,
Robert