New to the forum- Motor problems

Mike6158

Cadet
Howdy,<br /><br />I just bought a new yacht. It's a 14' Xpress with an old 35HP OMC military engine or so I was told. :eek: <br /><br />Motor Model Number: AML35D<br />Motor Serial Number: G03739054<br />Motor NIN Number: 3H2805-01-267-5047 (whatever an NIN number is)<br /><br />I was told that this motor is a 35HP motor that was built for the Marine Corp in 1968. Is there any way to find out if that's true?<br /><br />Supposedly it ran great, has a new water pump, yadda, yadda, yadda.<br /><br />To the point-<br /><br />I used some muffs on the intake and fired the motor up. Sure enough it starts on the first pull and idles nicely. There is no water coming from the tattletale holes :confused: I took the water intake screens off and I can turn the water pump shaft. At least I think it's the water pump shaft. The brass coupling in the middle doesn't turn when the engine idles however I can turn the lower part of the shaft easily enough. The motor also seems to be stuck in gear and I can't get it out of gear no matter where I put the shifter. The engine cover won't come off (because it's in gear??) Basicly things have gone downhill pretty rapidly. I have the feeling that this motor had problems and the previous owner knew it. Can't trust anyone nowdays can you? :( He told me that it had a new water pump put in it. I've emailed him to see who did the work and to see if there was some kind of warranty.<br /><br />On the upside, I bought my yacht for the yacht, not the motor so if it's history then I won't feel too screwed. It's just disappointing to think that someone would do something like that.<br /><br />Comments and help would be appreciated.

Trent

Captain
Re: New to the forum- Motor problems

Sorry, Iv never worked on one of these so I cannot give advise. Here is some info...<br /><br /> web page

Mike6158

Cadet

Hmmmm.. 1995 - 1996... Could be that I heard him wrong and it's a '96 not '69. I think the lower unit is the same as any other Johnson of that vintage. About the only real difference that I have seen (certainly no expert by the way) is the dewatering assembly. It's there so that when they dropped the motor out of an airplane into water, they could use the manual pump to pump the water out of the cylinders and then fire the engine up. At least that's what I was told.

Mike6158

Cadet

Follow up info-<br /><br />I'm going to tell on myself in the hopes that some other newbie won't make the same mistake that I did.<br /><br />1st- There was nothing wrong with the motor or water pump<br /><br />2nd- The "water pump shaft" turned out to be the shifter rod (how embarassing :p ) I had inadvertently adjusted it so that the motor was "unshiftable" Duh.. <br /><br />What I didn't know, I now know so I guess it was a good experience. I solved my problem by stopping and thinking about how the problems arose. It didn't take long for me to realize that the problem with being stuck in gear was related to me spinning the "water pump shaft". After that it was just a matter of turning the water all the way on and making sure the muffs were on good. I also found out something else that might be of interest. Don't sit directly behind the motor and adjust the muffs :rolleyes: Water comes out of the tattletale there :D This boating stuff is a kick :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Sorry I or others didn't see you post earlier. <br />We should have caught your misidentified shaft and saved you some time.<br /><br />Glad you were able to figure it out. <br />Now don't you feel good about having fixed it? :p

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello<br /> hahaha I enjoyed your post. if this is the dumbest thing you do while boating your way ahead of me. you name it I have done it. I "stole" my first boat at age 5. my uncle rented them from colington island NC, I would untie a rental boat and take off with it. got my rump busted a few times.better to ask forgiveness then miss out on some good fishing:) :) .<br /> Good luck and keep us posted. I know a dealer in the portsmouth VA area that rebuilds military motors.

Mike6158

Cadet

:) Thanks... I'm glad I figured out my "special adjustment" for myself. I learn better if I can correct my own screwups.<br /><br />I really enjoy having this boat. It's the first one and I've been shopping for one for about 5 years. I finally found a 14' Xpress (Alumaweld) that was in great shape. It already had a center console, steering and throttle, and a plywood floor. I've been adding little things like cleats and nav lights. I like to fish in the evenings after work and I guess the other owner didn't go out after dark. Maybe he had some kind of portable setup that he didn't let go with the boat? I have no idea how he tied up to anything or even how he tied the anchor on without cleats. Maybe by the bow handles? Either way, 1/2 the fun is making it mine. I noticed that the trailer needs some TLC so I am redoing the lights today. I fish about 99% salt water (Matagorda Bay, Texas) and I know that the obviously new wiring and lights will not last so I raised the lights to keep them out of the water and got rid of all the slices in the wiring.<br /><br />Thanks again... I like this site... There is lot's of good info here.<br /><br />Mike