New to the forum / Merc 7.5

hunterope

Seaman
Hello all glad to be here. I just bought an older boat with a 7.5 Merc (has the 75 label going down the back of the cover). The engine is spotless and has been garage kept (no oil leaks on the floor where it was stored). I didn't notice any oil leaking from the lower end and the compression is fantastic on it. I am assuming there is oil in the lower unit but I could be wrong. The engine hasn't run in about 10 years. I want to make sure I don't damage anything when I try to get her running. Any suggestions? I also want to know if there are any special procedures to changing the lower lube by the prop. If anyone has a manual for it, I'd be willing to pay a few bucks to get it. I can provide SN# after I pick her up and get the title transfered. Also, if there is anything special I should do before trying to kick her over (a little lube in the cylinders?)? Like I said, any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: New to the forum / Merc 7.5

The forum format just got changed and it's not in the FAQs yet, but I'm sure they're working on that. There will be a topic about awakening a sleeping outboard that should be of great value. Meanwhile go to your public library and look for an outboard service manual. Many have them.

Gearlube is filled from the large bottom drain plug until it comes out the small vent plug just above the antiventilation plate above the prop. The might also be a plastic plug nearby, but that's not it.

You should definately replace the water pump impleller. Even if it works now, it'll probably fail within an hour of running and overheat your motor, ruining it. If the carb had gas in it ten years ago, it'll need to be rebuilt. I'd also suggest rebuilding the fuel pump. The diaphragm is probably stiff with age and will also likely fail within the first hour of operation. A little oil in the cylinders would be wise. I'd suggest a squirt of 2-stroke oil.